Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every body.

I finally got out on the dragon last Saturday. I only live 10 miles from the start of the Dragon (TN Hwy 129) but had been avoiding the temptation to ride until I felt I and the bike were ready to ride it. Mostly held off because the forks on my GL needed rebuilt. I finally got the forks seals replaced a month ago and a riding buddy (Pete) told me it was time.

The Dragon is obviously the twistiest and also the smoothest road in my area. What a blast! Pete lives in West Knoxville so he drove down to Madisonville and we met at the Wendy's on Hwy 68. We drove down 68 to Tellico Plains and hopped on the Cherohala Skyway. The Skyway is also known for being curvy. It was, but it was a very relaxing ride into Robbinsville, North Carolina. We stopped at the Fontana Dam on lake Santeetlah ( Largest Concrete dam east of the Mississippi). We then rode the Hellbender up to Hwy 129. We hit the Dragon at Deal's Gap. After checking out the Goings on at Deal's (they were getting ready to close for the day so we didn't stay long) it was time to take on the Dragon and head for home. We were in no hurry and on a soft-tail Harley and a GL500 you can't hurry too much. We actually made it up the Dragon faster than I expected. All too soon we were riding along Lake Tellico with a distinct lack of curves.

I rode a total of 150 miles (Pete probably road and additional 40) and in my case all but 30 miles was on the curviest roads I had personally been on. My shoulders were tire and the arthritis in my hip was starting to act up but it was well worth it. I'm ready to go again. ;)(y)

There are photographers along the Dragon and I did get my picture taken.

This brings up my problem with my Avatar. I changed my avatar to the pic seen here but the picture in my avatar has the rite 1/4 cut off. Is there a way to fix this.

Well the jist of this post is that I had the best ride of my life (so far) last Saturday. If you are ever in the area (East Tennessee) make plans to ride the Dragon. If you're going to be in the area, send me a message and I might even go with. 馃榿

Bob C.

Attachments

Registered
Glad you had a such a great ride. I'm looking forward to my first ride on The Dragon. Kinda funny how even though you live so close, it isnt a big draw but some riders will travel thousands of miles to ride it.

As for the avatar, I pre cropped my pic to get the best results. This took 6 or 7 trys. Some of them in very little increments. This is a chance for you to work on some basic photo editing skills. I think I used the program Paint.Net, however the paint program that comes with windows may be sufficient.

Registered
Most excellent ! is a winding highway. Good to hear you enjoyed it. More pictures please

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Most excellent ! is a winding highway. Good to hear you enjoyed it. More pictures please
Gerard,
Obviously, on a twisty road like the Dragon it's really not possible to get picks while moving but here's a couple of pics of Deal's gap at the south end of the Dragon.

Bob C.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
One final pic. That's Pete on the Left and myself.

I admit that I'm not much of a photographer. I used to take a lot of photos back when I had my 35mm camera, but with digital I just don't do it much any more. I'll try to do a better job next time.

Bob C.

Attachments

Registered
Thanks for the pictures, looks alot like some of the areas around where I live "Cultass lake" to be exact, another road for the Bucket list.
PS love the Color of your bike

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pictures, looks alot like some of the areas around where I live "Cultass lake" to be exact, another road for the Bucket list.
PS love the Color of your bike
Gerard,
That's the original Candy Muse red on the bike. It has faded quite a bit on the bags and tank. It's turned the paint more to the brown side of the color. I'm thinking about re-painting this summer. If I do it will be the same factory color.

We've decided on this Saturday's ride. To the WNW of Knoxville is a series of roads called the Devil's Triangle.

Bob C.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts