Honda CX 500 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I didn't want to go there but I needed mechanics gloves for work since I got this handy dandy paper tonight saying I was an essential human being. That's probably the first time management at UPS has said that in a long time.
I worked at UPS, started in college and stayed on for 10 years. Drove the spotter and washed delivery trucks, tractors and trailers. Fueled them. They delivered my 3 kids.
Once deregulation occurred (in the '70s),it was all only numbers. Happy to hear of a modicum of humanity from them.

Thanks! You keep stuff flowing for the rest of us!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
People are starting to act like it's the apocalypse, there have been roaming groups of street racers taking over sections of highway; home invasions, burglaries, and car-jackings are all on the rise.
I've been baking pecan rolls and cookies for the neighbors.
IMG_20200321_131255094.jpg

But I am ready to protect them too. My little NAA .22WMR is easier to carry than my bigger pistols. I normally don't carry, but my carry permit is exactly for times like these. I don't trust the hoarders of T.P. or bullets and the preppers. I am an old boyscout.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I hear that loss of taste and smell are early indicators of COVID-19, but of many other illnesses as well. Historically a common cold always killed those senses fo me, that is first hand info. With so few tests available to date, and the long list of COVID-19 symptoms that are also symptoms of many other common and less serious illnesses, we are still left mostly not knowing as individuals. A normally very fit and healthy friend is in week 3 of being seriously sick and homebound with many of the symptoms, including persistent fever. His COVID-19 test came back after 11 days (!) negative. With the advice that "negatives" are 25% incorrect. He is recovering, but said it was the worst sickness he has had in his 55 years. I want to be one of the possible 25% who have such a mild case of COVID-19 that I almost don't know I have it, but then get the anti-bodies. BTW, I work for an 'Essential Manufacturer" (ventilator and other medical equipment parts) and so am still employed at the plant, albiet with a serious layer of precautions. My employer is ramping up production. I count myself fortunate, what with being 1-1/2 hour's drive from NY City. I wish everyone the best of luck with "The Beast". My 69th birthday is this month, my plan is to have many more.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've had a continuous cold and/or allergies since November. Luckily, the cough is far from dry! I ended the first round of my Election Deputy Job the middle of March and don't start there again until June. Luckily, my first S.S. check came in January and that helps financially. .

·
Super Moderator
15,329 Posts
Last Friday I learned that 2 people in my building contracted it but of course the company wouldn't tell us the union had to. On the upside they also had a paper that we were the only building in our region that was lucky enough to get it. Allergy season means everyone thinks they might have it. If I get it I want a mild case too so I can enjoy the 10 paid days off. Just sick enough that I get tested.

·
Super Moderator
20,361 Posts
I've always considered my neighbour on the shed side of my yard an idiot .... and worse.

I have my reasons after living next door to him for about 42 years. I'll not go into those here.

But .... I was out in the shed last night and could hear the drunken loud mouthed fool ringing people and asking them around.

Then arguing with them that social isolation is bull and the police commissioner says he can have ten people over. {You can't}.

One must have said he was 70 and was staying home. My clown of a neighbour {who is overweight and in poor health} reckons "so what? I'm 69 and don't give a ####".

He must have rung a dozen people with much the same result.

Don't think I was eavesdropping. You can't help but hear him. He has a loud mouth that gains in amplitude with every beer and wouldn't be 15 feet from the back corner of my shed. And I've put in sound deadening for both of our benefit as I make noise at times. And I had the stereo on .....

Strewth.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I feel for you Mark, I've had A-hole neighbors before (currently have good ones now thankfully) and its horrible. Home is supposed to be your respite and you can't get a way from the A-hole even when you are at home.

·
Registered
509 Posts
And rev it up every night just before the sound ordinance kicks in! ?

·
Super Moderator
20,361 Posts
There's also revving it up on one cylinder for a little while and then slipping the plug cap back in mid rev.

Gets a pretty good bang out of the exhaust.

His latest complaints are to the authorities about the large gum tree in my back yard.

It's been declared a significant tree so his chances of having it removed are roughly nil.

He's not pleased because I found they'd been emptying their ash trays over my fence. So I threw them back over the fence. All over his outdoor area and on his roof. I don't care. I'm years past caring with this one.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Myself, I like recycling my 4 litre (one gallon) oil cans with a one way vacuum valve ,old extension cord with one string of wire tied together and fill it with welding gas oxy/act and plug into 120 volts. Note have ear plugs in ,and long extension cord.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts