Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
American media is prone to sensationalism for sure. PBS has much more thoughtful, and maybe accurate overviews. No run on booze here yet, St Patrick's day a wash so local market has Jamison's Irish at half price, got two as no isopropyl on shelves here either. Mouthwash one can swallow. Some household ammonium hydroxide and bleach at dollar tree, don't mix for sure. Hang in there people,,,, :)

·
Super Moderator
13,490 Posts
Drink lots of whisky to kill the germs inside you ;-)
Note that contrary to what some media people have been saying you need 70% alcohol to kill this sort of thing, not 60%.
And unfortunately whisky is usually only 40% so there's not much point wasting it to wash your hands, especially when soap & water will remove more of it from your hands than even 70% alcohol.

·
Registered
980 Posts
That Everclear at 90% will kill the virus. Dilution is strongly recommended before ingestion. Soap, both bar and liquid still available in limited varieties here. Even saw toilet paper at local liquor/convenience store, I left it on shelf for others. Hope for better news tomorrow, glad to see warfare mostly on hold too, people forget differences when confronted with a common, invisible enemy.

·
Super Moderator
15,329 Posts
Stopped by the store on the way home from work and they had baking soda wipes, bleach, and broccoli. Is it to late to start eating healthy?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Anti-bacterial soap has no effect on VIRUS.

I got a 6 pack of TP with a fresh one on the roll. I'm set until September/October. Yes, I'm male and live alone.

Bar soap is similar, 9 packaged bars and 1 in the dish.

People are using cement blocks for brains.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hope your aunt gets well Murray. The elderly seems the most vulnerable to this virus.
My mother works at a Walmart in Tennessee and they had a employee meeting several days ago where they showed a security video of one of their co-workers getting knocked down and trampled as he was trying to stock TP on a shelf and got rushed by people fighting to get some. The poor guy is in his 70's and is now at home with bruised ribs and mutilple contusions. People stirred into a panic suck.
Hope everyone is healthy and stays safe.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You're in and yours are in our prayers Murray.
Was hoping to go for a long ride this spring /early summer, but sounds like thats off. Stay safe and healthy
You aren't likely to catch a virus on the bike. Motels might be a hazard, but camping should be pretty safe.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Anti-bacterial soap has no effect on VIRUS.
I got a 6 pack of TP
ANY soap will wash the virus off your hands. Scrub for 20 seconds I worked as an Early Election Deputy and started to do the hand Scrubbing about 6 weeks ago.

I've washed a lot of cloth baby diapers. Cut up old socks and t-shirts, slosh in toilet, make a bleach solution in a bucket to keep used shit cotton before you wash them in hot water in the washin machine

This was made for children, but it shows how soap works to combat the virus:

·
Super Moderator
13,490 Posts
Our local big grocery store has changed from their usual 8AM to 10PM hours to 7AM to 9PM with the first hour for seniors and Immuno Compromised.

My (retired nurse) wife has been on the CDC and Canadian Government websites studying every bit of information available (she even did an online class about prevention & care). She says that antibacterial soap will work just as well as any other soap (but not any better), which is slightly better than a thorough rinse with plain water. Apparently Covid doesn't like heat and it is the heat generated by friction when you rub your hands together while washing that actually kills it and the soap & water mostly carries the dead virus away.

Which is great for nearly everyone but not such great news for us. We woke up this morning to no hot water and when I went downstairs to investigate I found water pouring out of the bottom of the hot water tank ;-(
I just got off the phone with the guy that installed our new propane furnace a few years ago; At that time we agreed that it didn't make sense to change to a propane HWT since I had replaced the electric one just a few years earlier. He will be here tomorrow morning to see what we need and they should be able to install & connect a propane one on Friday.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Heat is a good method to kill covid19, it doesn't take super hot temperatures or long lengths of time from my reading. Also been looking at ultraviolet light as viricide,, there are currently home units that attach to furnace and purify air with light. It is also used in water purification systems. Soap and hot water is what most people have available of course, but high tech systems will probably sell more units soon.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just searched on ultraviolet systems, home water inline unit at tractor supply, hand held units for multiple surfaces available from many sources, useful for money or anything suspected as a potential disease vector. Whole house units attach to HVAC/furnace air handlers and work year around. Don't know about prices, surely vary by size and brand. It's the 21st century, sanitation tech is rapidly evolving to keep pace with population.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Most portable uv units under $100, available on Amazon etc, or direct from companies. Some light only, some with light and circulation fans to clean air in a limited area. UV light proven to kill bacteria and viruses, from what I read not just gadgets, effective tools for sanitation of personal items and surfaces.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I ordered a hand held UVC light wand, rechargeable, portable around 35$. They sold me a remote thermometer too as it looked so cool and no touch! I'll see how long delivery takes,,, many other types available, this Mobilkleen brand inexpensive,,, can't hurt, will have plenty of time to test it on stuff I bring home from stores,, partly got it for entertainment.

·
Registered
980 Posts
That roll of tp could have been the source of some kind of disease,,, fire is recommended sterilization method,,,;) after study of UVC light as sanitation method I found it affects the DNA of cells, prohibiting replication of bacteria, viruses, and as noted living tissues such as skin. The device I ordered is directional, and requires an exposure period of 15-30 seconds on surfaces to destroy all pathogens reproductive capabilities. Less time means less complete sanitation. Not intended for self sanitation, soap and hot water is highly effective for skin, clothing, eating utensils, chemical disinfectants for impervious surfaces are effective. I'm very interested in the use of UVC in large scale sanitation systems, such as building interiors, food processing plants, water treatment facilities, and the like. The future is now:)

·
Super Moderator
13,490 Posts
Was hoping to go for a long ride this spring /early summer, but sounds like thats off. Stay safe and healthy
You aren't likely to catch a virus on the bike. Motels might be a hazard, but camping should be pretty safe.
Some might even say that going for a ride could be the best thing you could do to stay healthy

21 - 40 of 149 Posts