Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
24,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wifes elderly aunt is in icu with the ccorona virus and they are not sure if she will make it

she is in wisconcin.

You all take care keep your hands clean and stay away from everyone and every thing

no one even think of visiting me please!

My thought and prayers to you all listen to local advisories

this is very real !

·
Super Moderator
20,959 Posts
Hope things are OK Murray. And with all our members and their people.

Question.

In Australia toilet paper cannot be found. It has been panic bought along with pasta, tinned and frozen food and disinfectants.

The shelves are also denuded of tissues and kitchen paper.

Are the rest of the world seeing this?

Rumour is we will go into absolute lockdown on Thursday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hope your aunt recovers, Murray. Can't imagine the stress that may cause on the rest of the family.
Question.

In Australia toilet paper cannot be found. It has been panic bought along with pasta, tinned and frozen food and disinfectants.

The shelves are also denuded of tissues and kitchen paper.

Are the rest of the world seeing this?

Rumour is we will go into absolute lockdown on Thursday.
Same thing in Washington State, restaurants, bars and such have already been shutdown. I don't understand the toilet paper obsession, not gonna save people from the virus.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hoarding is going to lead to rationing of goods.

Stores are beginning to have special hours for people over 60 years old. There have been reports of younger people ripping goods out of older people's hands. Very sad indeed.

The twerp in TN who was hoarding 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer is being investigated by the TN
Attorney General. To save his a55, he donated his hoard. Although, he was banned from Amazon, Ebay and he was evicted from his warehouse. I see heavy fines and possible jail time in his future.

Stay Safe, Wash your hands, Maintain distance, Stay home if feeling ill.

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
Here people have been advised to lay in supplies for a couple of weeks of self quarantine and of course have over reacted and stripped the shelves of some stores. Both of our daughters have told us they saw stores sold out of toilet paper, bread, hand sanitizer and bottled water. I believe a lot of the panic has been fuelled by social media reports.

I can understand buying some extra bread if your whole family are all going to be home and you won't be able to shop for a couple of weeks and maybe getting a bit more TP than normal for the same reason (+ you often need more when you have a flu like illness). Hand sanitizer I understand less because plain soap & water has been proven to work better and as for bottled water, do they expect their municipal water systems to shut down? And if they did what good would the toilet paper be?

My wife heard a report of people from Toronto going to Huntsville (240 Km away) and buying out the store there.

We will be in a grocery store today; I'll post back what we find.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Agreed, buying extra for a couple weeks is acceptable. But some doorknobs are buying hundreds of rolls of TP.

I was at a pet store to buy a bit of dog food for my dog. Yes, the shelves were nearly bare. I asked an employee of a specific item, she disappeared to return with my item. A 4 lb bag of dog food. She related to me that a man had purchase 300 lbs of dog food. She knows this man as a regular customer who has a Shetland Collie. 300 lbs will likely last for nearly a year.......... Yep, people have Hoarding Disease or have a cement block for a brain.

I wonder if his dog will be able to consume all that food before the expiration date?????

·
Super Moderator
20,959 Posts
There's been at least one fist fight over toilet paper reported here.

They had a special hour for the elderly and disabled here this morning.

Poor old buggers were queued up before daylight - only to come away empty handed as there was no stock.

I'm going to make a couple of runs tomorrow. I can only carry what fits in my large backpack.

Online grocery deliveries have been stopped or booked out forever.

In the way of tinned food, today I found one tin of spaghetti at the back f a bottom shelf. 2 tins f baked beans that somebody had put in a shelf in another aisle.

Hand sanitiser has been unavailable for a while. I carry a pill bottle full of metho.

That's it.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Was hoping to go for a long ride this spring /early summer, but sounds like thats off. Stay safe and healthy

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Hope things go well for your family Murray
Here we've had some scum break into hospitals to steal hand sanitiser
where they need it most
shoot the f**** s is what I say.
I see some sellers on Ebay are cashing in on the anxiety and charging crippling prices for
paper masks, hand gel etc
I hope they're being noted and will be punished for their cynical greed later.

It's easy to focus on the negative aspects and feel pretty down about it all
but remember there are lots of good folk doing good things out there too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The fleecers on Ebay and Amazon will be barred. All the lookers just need to report the price gouging. Both Amazon and Ebay will close and ban that seller.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The fleecers on Ebay and Amazon will be barred. All the lookers just need to report the price gouging. Both Amazon and Ebay will close and ban that seller.
In Taiwan they fine people the equivalent of $10,000 for price gouging

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
Our daughter said she has seen products on Amazon for up to 10X what they normally sell for at the local $1 store (which is out of stock in them).

We went to a couple of grocery stores today. The big one on the highway had a lot of empty shelves and some of the senior staff looked very tired. One fellow we spoke with said it was nuts over the weekend but it had calmed down a bit. He said in addition to toilet paper, tissues & paper towels (none left), bleach, bread and bottled water they had a run on flour & sugar on the weekend (I guess people figured if they were going to be home with the kids for a couple of weeks they would have time for baking, not to mention treats they don't have to go out for). They were also out of fresh meat, eggs, chocolate syrup (that you mix with milk) and assorted other products but they did have bread (2 loaf limit) and some produce.

The smaller store in the smaller town seemed to have everything except eggs and toilet paper but they did have some paper towels.

I expect the stores will be mostly back to normal in a few more days and will probably see a sales slump until people that panicked use up some of the stuff they bought.

The restaurants are all closed except for takeout and the government has banned all public gatherings of over 50 people (schools were already closed) . Canada's borders were closed yesterday; They are only letting international flights land at 4 airports where arrivals will be screened and possibly quarantined before being allowed to return to their homes.

·
Registered
24,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stores here look raped
someone tell me what they are doing with all the [email protected]#$%^&*ing pickles?
they even bought out the spam
one of my wifes co workers had a bottle of hand sanitizer stolen out of her car
yet there lots of anti bacterial soap on the shelves?

·
Registered
980 Posts
One doesn't have to look at the word "pandemic" long to see the word "panic". After watching PBS world news this afternoon I am encouraged by the international efforts to control, subdue, and hopefully eradicate this disease. Local cooperation is high in most areas, and travel restrictions are slowing rates of contagion. Best wishes to all, keep calm and carry on.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Same here in central Iowa,, my hope is after the pandemic is over( sooner the better)the embarrassment for those who indulged in the hoarding and panic will stay with them until they run out of toilet paper, or longer;)

·
Registered
980 Posts
To clarify, I'm not unsympathetic to people with panic disorders, only those who take advantage of the fears of others for personal advantage, financial or political. Most folks are concerned and cooperative, helping neighbors is a great thing, During good times as well as bad.

·
Super Moderator
15,333 Posts
Here in Milwaukee it's kind of a mess. The media is making it a huge mess scaring everyone into overbuying. I did buy two weeks worth of groceries on Saturday when I usually buy the weekly groceries. A friend called me today and said the one store had TP so I drove there to pick up a pack knowing I have two neighbors that are kind of shut in. I got there and it was like the Mall on Christmas eve. Waited in line to park. Got in and other had tp but none left for me. I looked around and the rest of the store looked well stocked but a bazillion people so I turned around and walked out.

Working nights usually I run into coworkers at the store but they're all pretty much closed 10pm-7am. This is going to be fun. I guess UPS is going to keep us busy.

Down to 14 1/3 rolls of tp. But I have 11 rolls of papertowel and no disinfectants besides whiskey.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts