Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The carbs have been cleaned. Now how do you put them together as a pair?? I have the Honda Shop Manual and the Clymers and they do not show very detailed pictures. I think you need a third hand to do this. I got the part about the brass and aluminum gas interconnect tubes. Also think that I have the carb sync screw together ok. The book says to remove the screw but the yellow thread lock told me differently. Oh ya, almost forgot the spring here. My biggest question is in the choke relief spring. Does that tiny spring actually pull both choke butterflys closed? If so, how many turns do you have to put on it? Right now I would say I have one and a half. Looks as though it need more tension. Another turn?? How in the world do you pull that one off! I had trouble bringing it around on the last one.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Buy a copy of Larry's carb specific book - cheap at twice the price due to all the pictures.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I've never done a carb job on a cx... I,ve seen the choke return issue posted here before.

For a third hand, I will sometimes use pieces of coat hanger or bailing wire to hold things together until I can get the tool fastener and my spectacles adjusted
I also have a bunch of metric and sae bolts with the heads cut off (and thread chased) to use as positioners or dowels... Clothes pins, c clamps, even duct tape is my helper when needed.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I second what Marshall said about Larry's carb book. If you have never done a set, it is invaluable to have for reference.

In regard to the sync screw, I think you will have to break the yellow seal to get the screw back in. I don't think you can squeeze the spring and washer into the slot without taking it apart. If you want to, you can count the number of turns to get the nut off, then put it back the same number of turns. This will not give you a perfect sync, but will get you in the ballpark. A better way is to set the butterflies the exact same, using one of the tiny holes in the venturi bottom under the butterflies. Then do a on the bike sync when you get them mounted.

If I remember correctly, if we are referring to the light spring that wraps around the choke shaft, 1-1/2 turns seem right. No more than that, maybe just a 1/2 turn. You can wind this spring after the carbs are attached with a light wire or hemostat fished around the shaft.

It isn't absolutely necessary to break the carbs apart for cleaning. It does make it easier to get to the ACV cover, but it can easily be done without separating the carbs. That would save the re-syncing issue.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I think I have it now. The chokes work fine. Actually I synced the carbs mechanically, for a start. I took a .0015 feeler guage and set up the left carb. Then I adjusted the right carb to the same "feel".

If you could have seen my carbs on another posting, They HAD to come appart!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.