Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a few feet 10-12, of clear vinyl tubing, 1/4 inch OD. Found a stick approx 5 feet long, any stick for a mount. Run tubing from one carb, to somewhere at top of your stick and fasten with a mount tie, down a couple of feet to a second mount tie and back up to a third and then back to the other carb. Fill the U shape half way with ATF because its thick and red and you can see it. I was in a hurry so I blew into alternate ends to remove bubbles until gone. You can just wait overnight maybe, I didn't try it.

I found some brass tubing, cut threads to match the carb manifold inlets and cut at any length you want. Screw into the manifolds and attach the tubing ends. One carb sucks against the other and you simply fiddle with the idle screws until the oil levels are the same. Simple, easy and best of all, cheap like me.

Capt. Frank

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thanks for the tip - do you happen to know what that metric thread size is?

·
Registered
546 Posts
+

Think its 5 x .8 tgyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Cat just walked over the laptop!

Capt. Frank

sd

I made one of these a couple years ago, I zip tied my tubing to a framing square, which I hung on a step ladder beside the bike. I set my temp fuel tank on top of the ladder. Worked well.

·
Registered
948 Posts
By temporary fuel tank, are you using the original tank, but hooking it up remotely?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bought a few feet 10-12, of clear vinyl tubing, 1/4 inch OD. Found a stick approx 5 feet long, any stick for a mount. Run tubing from one carb, to somewhere at top of your stick and fasten with a mount tie, down a couple of feet to a second mount tie and back up to a third and then back to the other carb. Fill the U shape half way with ATF because its thick and red and you can see it. I was in a hurry so I blew into alternate ends to remove bubbles until gone. You can just wait overnight maybe, I didn't try it.

I found some brass tubing, cut threads to match the carb manifold inlets and cut at any length you want. Screw into the manifolds and attach the tubing ends. One carb sucks against the other and you simply fiddle with the idle screws until the oil levels are the same. Simple, easy and best of all, cheap like me.

Capt. Frank

Frank:

What are the chances of getting a picture?

Thanks for posting!

Ev.

Mi

82 Gl500i

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I agree a pic would be helpful.

Are you talking about synchronization? I thought there was a specific screw (between the carbs)for adjusting that.

Isn't carb synch about adjusting the butterflies? When I had mine separated and then reassembled them, I used a caliper to measure the distance to the closed butterfly and adjusted until they were the same measurement. It runs ok, but I guess I don't know for sure that they are really synched, and my bike has other issues, so I can't say for sure whether it runs perfectly anyway.

Thanks for the info, it could be helpful in the future when I get mine back together.

Fib

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Here is a pic of the one I came up with. A bit more than 5 bucks in this one.
I used a 4 foot lath(stick) several feet of plastic tubing, some duct tape and

Marvel Mystery Oil for the color. Use long tubing so that you can hopefully keep the

fluid from being sucked into the carb. ATF will work. Put restrictors in the tubing to

reduce the vacuum and steady the fluid. My local Honda dealer sold me 4 brass fittings

for the carbs for $10.00. Put one end of the tubing in the fluid, MMO/ATF, and suck the

fluid into the tubing, hang the thing up for a while to settle the fluid.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How about a video? I am more of a youtube kind of guy! hahahaha

·
Registered
546 Posts
By temporary fuel tank, are you using the original tank, but hooking it up remotely?

No. I actually used the plastic container my battery acid came in. (cleaned and neutralized of course) a length of tubing to the spout and poked a hole in the top for a vent. Talk about on the cheap eh? LOL

My original tank, having a vac petcock wouldn't work.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
No. I actually used the plastic container my battery acid came in. (cleaned and neutralized of course) a length of tubing to the spout and poked a hole in the top for a vent. Talk about on the cheap eh? LOL

My temporary tank is a plastic tank from and old lawn mower, has a spigot and a cap.

Strap it on the frame with a bunjee and there you go.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I made a similar manometer. As mentioned, the key to getting good results is to have a restriction in each of the lines to dampen the vacuum pulses.

I use a generic coolant overflow tank as a fuel source. Got it from the auto parts store.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Fibonacci, the goal of synchronizing the carbs is to make sure both cylinders are putting out the same amount of power; that one isn't pulling harder than the other. Yes, adjusting the little screw on the linkage that connects the carb changes the position of the butterflies. Measuring the position of the butterfly valves as you did is a great initial setup procedure but it doesn't guarantee that each cylinder is doing 50% of the work. There are build tolerances such as the position of the that little hole under the butterfly valve or the diameter of that hole.

·
Registered
366 Posts

I have a vac petcock, so I will not be able to balance the carb's ? Will I have to buy a new

petcock? Will I have to block off the Vac line? to balance the carb's?

Ev.

Mi

GL500i

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have a vac petcock, so I will not be able to balance the carb's ? Will I have to buy a new

petcock? Will I have to block off the Vac line? to balance the carb's?

Ev.

Mi

GL500i
I recently wondered the same thing. Check out this post:

Balancing carbs w/vacuum petcock

Edit: BTW: a "strimmer" is a "string trimmer" otherwise known as a weed wacker. Every once in a while I'm sent Googling for a definition. Thanks, Bandit. A weed wacker tank or a lawn mower tank seem like good ideas and both are readily available on Ebay.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yep. I made a simple one with 2 glass jars and some marvel oil as well. 1 piece of tubing goes from the bottom of 1 jar to the bottom of the other, then one tube from the top of 1 jar to the intake and the same for the other side.

If 1 pulls harder than the other the oil will flow to that side. Simple, but takes a while.

I also use the motion pro merc sticks. Work fine.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It would be nice if someone posted the thread pitch and size of the hole on the intake where the screw goes in. I suppose we can figure it out though. Think one could just get the right sized bolt or screw or whatever you wanna call it, and drill a hole through the middle to make the adaptor for the hoses to fit on? I need to do a sync real soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.