Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you may recall that I got a 1978 CX running that had been sat for 30 years. I was concerned about the noise it was making and after having a finger through the inspection port, I discovered the manual tensioner was sat in its lowest position. Then I pushed the cam chain...that was totally slack and surprisingly visible from the inspection port :eek: A further feel around around the top of the cam chain tensioner revealed a rotating plastic nib. The engine number places the block in the last hundred engines that were produced in the CX500E range which I believe should have had recall worked carried out on them...mine lacks the three dots.

Alas, I realised the engine must be split. So at just shy of 20,000 miles the engine has broken both its cam chain tensioner and the cam chain guide. It's also worn through that bolt that usually get hit by the cam chain but since I've not got the flywheel off yet, I don't know the state off affairs lower down. I was somewhat upbeat when I found the largest untapped reserve of what looked like crude oil in the rear case. That should pay for the triple bypass.

If I had known the engine better, or read some of the cam chain tensioner advice threads with greater vigour, I would've been able to identify the broken tensioner right at the outset...through the inspection port. Live and learn applies here!

Broken cam chain tensioner.JPG

So, here's my question...now with the engine apart. Do I also replace the stator while I'm in there. It looks like it's in good shape, while I was running the engine it produced a solid 14V through a range of RPMs. If I'm replacing it, should I change the system over to an Ignitech unit and get the less complex stator. Also is there anything else I should do while I'm with the engine apart? Thanks

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
GEEZUS, that thing would have made a horrid racket! It BLEW UP> The spring looks like it jumped from it's perch.

Look for your engine SN on the lower left side of the block. The first line here is the range to watch for the dots.

CX500 1978 Frame: CX500-2000001 ~ Engine: CX500E-2000001 ~ Camchain tensioner recall up to 2034366

CX500 1979 Frame: CX500-2100001 ~ Engine: CX500E-2100006 ~

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
So, here's my question...now with the engine apart. Do I also replace the stator while I'm in there. It looks like it's in good shape, while I was running the engine it produced a solid 14V through a range of RPMs. If I'm replacing it, should I change the system over to an Ignitech unit and get the less complex stator. Also is there anything else I should do while I'm with the engine apart? Thanks
Replace the ~~ 37 year old stator, the mech. waterpump seal and the oil seal on the cam, ....and the oil seal for the shift shaft.....and.

Don't forget to order new O-rings and gaskets.

And the "tool" to press the rotor off of the crank's conus. It's a screw M20x1.5mm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts