Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After tracking down my anti-freeze leak, which seemed to be from someone over-tightening the plastic drain plug a hair too tight so that it cracked the threads right where it joins the hex-head, (coulda been why she was running a mite warmer in the hotter weather...dunno). Well, anyways, I got them aluminium side panels off, and they certainly needed cleaning up, Actually, I used a scotch-brite pad and wd-40 on the first one, and it came out looking like nice, clean, aluminium, which was more like the finish I was looking for. Unfortunatly, that first session took its toll on my hands and fingers, so my dad tells me he has this sander/polishing right angle drill motor thingy and some buffing pads that tie onto the backing disc of this gizmo. So, off to the parts store where I bought Mothers Mag and Aluminium polish.

The result was OVERKILL!!

I could shave in the reflection, if, I were so inclined (but, I vowed that steel would no longer touch my face after I got out of the Army...lol)

So, I had to redo the other side to match. The problem is NOW that frigging flimsy metal frame, which was rust pitted, BUT, just the right kinda color that would match up with the finished luster I had done originally on the first panel. BUT IT DON'T MATCH NOW!!...........GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!\

I be supposin', I could by some rattle-can aluminium paint and spray her down, and not sure if chrome paint would remedy the problem either.

On another note, I took the fairing off to better access the radiator panels, and took a look-see at the wiring, ESPICIALLY where the fairing grounded to the frame. Only 1 Place where metal to metal contact was made is via a hole drilled through the frame a coupla inches in front of the rubber stops for the gas tank (gl specific). The hole was rather rustic looking so's, I stole one of the bore brushes that I don't use from my generic rifle cleaning kit and cleaned her up, as well as going to bare metal where 2 spacers go on either side of the through bolt. Checking though with a test light hooked up to the ground wire coming off the fairing and the pointy end stabbed into the negative side of the battery resulted in my headlight STILL dimming when I hit the brake switch and also keeping time with my blinkiy's. So, IF this still happens when I get the fairing back on the bike again, it'll just be something I'll hafta live with...lol

Oh ya, the wiring on the forks.......After looking at this and turning that, I came to the conclusion that: "If it ain't broke....DON'T fix it!"...lol So, I zip-tied 'em back into as nice and neat little package that a spghetti-jungle of this magnatude could be, I suppose.....Lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bear old buddy. Why didn't u call mr to come by and help? Let me know if we can meetup tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, now, I thinks I just might do that Matt. Lol.....My 83 year old dad has been over rendering some assistance, but, if we ain't going off in his car chasing this, that or the other, so's he can get warmed up, he don't stick around too long.

I WAS scheduled to do some dirt work tomorrow, but with the delugings I been hearing out the puter room window, I don't thinks I'll hafta worry to much about workin' tomorrow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As for the rt. and lt. sidea not matching, folks can't see them at the same time. Not a problem, no?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I wiped that lil frame off with some acetone, and sprayed her down with 2 coats of chrome rust-oleum. Next, I'll let it sit fer a day er so and see if I can make it look more even. Dunno what size grit would be good for that. Any suggestions?

I went to ace harware and bought a 12mm 1.25 pitch zinc-coated bolt (hex head on this one is 19mm, not 14mm) and nut (because I had to cut the bolt to length and that nut served a dual purpose). I then wrapped some lizard tape around the threads to seal them off from the anti-freeze and make it less likely to rust in place. Not as good as plastic, to be sure, but unable to find plastic metrics in this here country, and half the price of what Willy World wanted (11 buks n some change), Plus!!! PLUS!!! Watrching that guys eyes behind the parts counter at honda get all googely-eyed when I told him that drain plug was plastic? Brought a smile to my face that is hard to put a price on. I told him that my Daddy always told me to stay out there until ya learned something new. I told him he could go home now....rofl

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I thought it was particularly funny you had posted about the 'flimsy metal frame around the radiator' at nearly the same time I was posting that I was having one heck of a time getting mine off!

I got mine off and shot some paint on it real quick. Sanded it, shot it with the rust converter, and the high temp satin finish aluminum color. Wish I had the time and was mechanical enough to take the bike apart this winter and play around with re wiring, etc.... I'd like to see ALL of the motor, etc painted with the satin aluminum. It's a nice finish and still subdued enough to blend with and not take from the new paint job.

Good luck with yours! Let me know how you like the chrome!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"I thought it was particularly funny you had posted about the 'flimsy metal frame around the radiator' at nearly the same time I was posting that I was having one heck of a time getting mine off!"

Cuz, GREAT minds think alike?......ROFL

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
"I thought it was particularly funny you had posted about the 'flimsy metal frame around the radiator' at nearly the same time I was posting that I was having one heck of a time getting mine off!"

Cuz, GREAT minds think alike?......ROFL

What makes it even funnier is that we're REALLY not that far from each other!!! LOL.... My town is basically exit 93 on I-80 (well, Ottawa is exits 93 and 90... LOL)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, how 'bout it! Lol...Rockdale is, methinks 126-A (Larkin Ave. S.) along I-80. And when I say along I-80, I mean the street I live on borders E. bound 80. I been across that narrow 2-lane bridge when they had Route 6 closed up west towards Marsielles fer some reason er other. So, I knows about where ya are.

Who done the painting on yer bike? Cuz I needs/wanna paint my gas tank, luggage bags and tall trunk up this winter. Wanna kinda get away from the "tutti-frutti" look.....rofl And judging the way my "flimsy lil' bracket" turned out, I thinks I could certainly use some better expertise than I have....Lol

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
For some reason I think Rockdale, and I think Hoboult Rd

Yeah, when we moved out here I lived on Rt6 in Marseilles, my parents still live there... I kinda miss New Lenox though, go back every summer for Proud American Days

One of Troy's family friends did the painting. He has a regular job.... and this is kinda an extreme hobby for him, but he's out in Paw Paw..... it's about 30 mins from me, but I wouldn't want anyone else painting my bike, after seeing his work

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back in the day, long before Joliet Junior College was built, Houbolt Road was the PRIMO drinking/necking/partying place, as it was AT ITS BEST a 2 lane gravel road and that's over-rating it......LOL Also, back then Rockdale was nortorioulsy known to have a bar on every corner and a pretty mean town!

Used to have a buddy of mine who lived near Paw-Paw/Mendota area. Barney Fifesville is what he usedta call it....LOL!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
That flimsy metal thing...I paid the price to have that piece chromed($50.00)

but when I put the fairing back on the GL650 you cant even see the flimsy thing.

It could be rusty and no one would know but me.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I didn't need the sucker to hang those 2 side panels on I slaved away on for a friggin weekend.....I'd pitch it. It WAS rusty, now is like an aluminum finish, although the cap on the rattle-can was chrome. But, yer Right Okie, onced I get the fairing back on, there won't be a whole lot of it showing, save the 1/4 inch of vertical on each side, and that little bar piece that runs along the bottom that holds the plastic grid plate that keeps rocks and small birds from trashing the radiator core...Lol

Anyone know why the font size changes? I started out on #3 and it changed back default all by itself. I dun baleeb dat chit!! Anyways...with the fairing out the way.is.......

onto the brakes! Front and rear.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I don't know..... I notice it a lot more these days

after black paint, before flames

Now, after being painted itself

glad I did it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts