Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CX500TC leans way too much, in my opinion, when I put it on the sidestand.

Sidestand looks too short for the bike. Check this out for me, put your bike on the center stand

and pull the sidestand down and measure how far it is from the floor to the bottom of the sidestand.

Mine is over 4 inches. The bike has not fallen over but the angle of lean is scary.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't ever measured, but I feel the same way.

When it's parked, it's on the center stand. Every time.

I use the sidestand to hold the bike while I dismount then I put it on the centerstand

as soon as possible. If the lean is normal I will modify the sidestand to suite me.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Mine is 100mm or 4" maybe fractionally less...

You could also possibly have a worn pivot bolt, or the bracket that holds the sidestand coud be bent a bit further vertical from its present position.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure about the purpose of the "puck". On all the Hondas in my shop, 4 today,

the "puck" is mounted beside the foot on the sidestand and does not seem to have

any real purpose. If the puck was mounted so that the bike rested on it that would

help some. The pivot pin is tight and not worn, but the sidestand itself has a slight

curve in it, is this normal??? I think I will try to find a replacement part for this.

It bothers me to see that bike lean so far over.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes this is a problem with the turbo mine leans too far as well and it looks like you have to remove part of the exhaust to take the side stand off. Honda missed the boat on this one. I also lost the wire extension to kick out the sidestand so a big pain to engage it. I think i`m going to have to remove it this spring and come up with a better setup. I use the centre stand most of the time but when on the sidestand it has way too much of a lean, If it tipped over the result would not be good.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Had same problem on a few different bikes. Usuallly the sidestand is either bent slightly, pivot bolt is worn

or the mount bracket is slightly bent. Likely caused by excess weight on sidestand when in the down position

(being used when loading/unloading rider). Went to the local bike wrecker with my old side stands and got ones that were

about 2 inches longer. $5.00 each. Problem solved.

·
Registered
849 Posts
While working on my 500 today I noticed excessive lean too. While on the center stand and I can put the kickstand down and pull it towards me several inches. If the stand didn't push out so much when the weight of the bike was on it, the lean would be fine.

Wtf was Honda thinking when they put the bolt through the front? You have to drop the exhaust system to remove the damn thing!

Hopefully it's the bolt that's worn and not the frame section or stand. I can back the bolt out enough to easily whack it with a sawzall or cutoff wheel. The new one will go through the other side with the nut facing the exhaust.

·
Registered
147 Posts
George, Think carefully before you do that cutting. The sidestand bolt is a shouldered bolt, and it is threaded into the inner half of the sidestand "fork". You cannot easily reverse the sidestand bolt.

Like you, I think some Honda guys were asleep when that bolt's insertion direction was decided upon.

Just a case of the frame and its fittings were designed before the exhausts were decided upon.

The wear is usually evenly divided between the inner, lower edge of the frame lug, and the inner part of the outer fork on the sidestand. Sometimes a 1mm thick washer right at the head of the bolt will allow some of the wear to be taken up, and a little judicious squeezing together of the forks will work wonders for the amount of wear, BUT swing the sidestand right up, to check for binding after you think the wear has been adjusted for.

On some of my bikes that have too much lean when on the sidestand, I weld a 2" long piece of 1" square steel tube onto the bottom of the foot - it gives you 1" less distance from the stand's foot to the ground, and it also lets you have a bigger imprint on the ground - beware the hot tar-mix giving way in summer.

·
Registered
849 Posts
George, Think carefully before you do that cutting. The sidestand bolt is a shouldered bolt, and it is threaded into the inner half of the sidestand "fork". You cannot easily reverse the sidestand bolt.

Like you, I think some Honda guys were asleep when that bolt's insertion direction was decided upon.

Just a case of the frame and its fittings were designed before the exhausts were decided upon.

The wear is usually evenly divided between the inner, lower edge of the frame lug, and the inner part of the outer fork on the sidestand. Sometimes a 1mm thick washer right at the head of the bolt will allow some of the wear to be taken up, and a little judicious squeezing together of the forks will work wonders for the ammount of wear, BUT swing the sidestand right up, to check for binding after you think the wear has been adjusted for.

On some of my bikes that have too much lean when on the sidestand, I weld a 2" long piece of 1" square steel tube onto the bottom of the foot - it gives you 1" less distance from the stand's foot to the ground, and it also lets you have a bigger imprint on the ground - beware the hot tar-mix giving way in summer.

Aww crap. Thanks for that bit of important info...I'm glad I read this before heading out to the garage! I didn't realize that part of the stand tab was threaded. I used a wrench to back out the bolt but thought I was just helping it along.

I like your idea of square stock on the bottom, I may give that a try.

Thanks again, you saved me a lot of grief.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I think the thing was a little under engineered... Mine has a pronounced ( makes me nervous) lean... maybe it's "worn out". I'll have to look.

I have also noticed that many heavier bikes like the CBX and GL 1000 have a tendency to have forward bent center stands which can make em a bitc# to get off sometimes...

I think the center stand is the same on the CX... CBX and GL1000... all of them, ( I did not actually check) A friggen boat anchor that I guess will not bend under our "puny" weight

I like the idea of flat stock shims as well

·
Registered
849 Posts
Spot welded in a piece of square stock as suggested and I have a perfect lean angle now.
Painted it black and it's not even noticeable.

Suspension pressures make a difference in the lean angle and this year I decided to go higher which made it excessive imo.

I think it's more Honda's design rather than wear and tear. My 650 will be getting the same mod.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I noticed that too after I bought a GoldWing kickstand. Haven't put it on yet because of exhaust. Ain't tearing it down till I need too. Has anyone ever put a GoldWing kickstand on a GL 650 Interstate and how much work involved?

·
Registered
254 Posts
The rubber "puck" is to kick the side stand up in case you ride off with it down.
I have always wondered that! I have owned more Honda bikes than I can remember with that little goodie and never understood is purpose.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I noticed that too after I bought a GoldWing kickstand. Haven't put it on yet because of exhaust. Ain't tearing it down till I need too. Has anyone ever put a GoldWing kickstand on a GL 650 Interstate and how much work involved?

GL 1000... same boat anchor

the hardest part is lifting the 20+lbs of pig iron.

P.S.

I'm not 100% sure about the mounting bosses, I'll try and check ltr.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe the real purpose of the rubber is to keep the sidestand fron sinking into dirt or hot pavement. If the bike leans to much on the sidestand then the pivot is worn this can be checked by the amount of side play. By the way I'm new here just picked up a CX500T today to add the collection, unique bike I lke it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe the real purpose of the rubber is to keep the sidestand fron sinking into dirt or hot pavement. If the bike leans to much on the sidestand then the pivot is worn this can be checked by the amount of side play. By the way I'm new here just picked up a CX500T today to add the collection, unique bike I like it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.