Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have purchased your Keihin CX/GL Carburetor rebuilding book. And, I've now read the book from cover to cover. Very good.

I've had these carbs open before, and have used carb cleaner dutifully, using new gasket kits, only to improve throttle response and performance A LITTLE. I was not aware of the presence of some of these tubes and the need to remove them. But your pictures make it clear why. I also see through Internet research that these emulsion tubes and other important carb parts can still be purchased. Woo-Hoo! And I was surprised to see how the overflow tubes split. That might explain the slight gas smell on the 80-CX. But we will see in the next several weeks!

Now, I need to buy a couple of new tools before I get started.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Clifford,

I'm glad to here it's helped you understand what goes on inside of them. And thank you for the kind words. I had hoped while I was working on it that I was doing the right thing since I had never undertaken anything like this. After all, I'm just a hands on mechanic. So if it were not for the help of Don (blindstitch) and Dave (Dave from Wisconsin) I wouldn't have done as well as I did without theirs, and the help of all the members on this forum. So I thank all of you in return.

Now, what year carbs are you going to rebuild? And I need to warn you that some of the aftermarket emulsion tubes and jets fall short of the OEM's parts performance. Stick with what's inside the carbs you have for hard parts. They will serve you much better. One more thing. If your working on carbs that need the low jets pulled out with the extractor, be sure to get an extractor that's high quality like Mac, Snap-on, Craftsman etc... The recent flood of low grade tools in some auto parts stores are getting very soft and break pretty easy. In the next addition of the book I am going to recommend some heat be added before using the extractor if the quality of the tools doesn't get better. And that's not likely to happen.

Take care during the build and remember that if you have any questions or concerns just drop me a line or ask me here.

Larry

·
Registered
458 Posts
Here, Here, I got Larry's book sent down under to OZ. It was colour, and supremely helpful. I thought I had done a good job cleaning my carbs, but, after the "Larry Clean"....

Man, did that wake the old girl up !!!! Thanks again, LRCXed. It takes pride of place amongst my builders manuals, and every bike friend that comes around, reads it.

Pulitzer....?

Thanks Mate.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
If not Pulitzer, lets shoot for Nobel......okay just NOBLE, because that is what the effort was. Bravo Larry.

Happy Clam in the Couve

·
Registered
810 Posts
The Nobel prize should be doable. Especially since the good people of Nobel recently gave one to a person that had done nothing [yet] deserving of such a great honor.

Larry has my vote of confidence too.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Larry,

Your words about Don and me are too kind. It was a privilege to help out with it.

You have the knowledge, I just pointed out some of the minor grammar and spelling errors and ended up missing a bunch as it is.

The book is indeed awesome as I have used it myself. The ultrasonic cleaner in my opinion is a real necessity.

·
Super Moderator
24,015 Posts
THIS BOOK IS EXCELLENT! I reccomend it highly, it makes the carb section of your manual look sick.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I told Larry the other day that every component section for the bike should be written and photographed with this much detail. John Muir (How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive) would be proud, and might take tips from Larry's book!

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
I thank you all for the kind words. It makes all the work it took to do it well worth the effort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just recently bought a 79 cx500. I'm planning on adding pods and running dual exhaust. As much as I've read about this book I'm hoping it helps. I've never done carb work but i consider myself mechanically inclined and figure this book is a must.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Thank you Jervin, the book was written so that a beginner could follow along and succeed. You'll have to let me know how it goes for you. Did you already get the book?

Remember, I'm always here if you need any help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you Jervin, the book was written so that a beginner could follow along and succeed. You'll have to let me know how it goes for you. Did you already get the book?

Remember, I'm always here if you need any help.

I just ordered it today. If it's as good as everyone seems to say I should have no problem. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
OK I see how you came up with the online name now. I just dropped it at the post office an hour ago. They said it should be there Tuesday. Thanks for the order.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Larry,

Bought your book today. I am really looking forward to getting it.

I bought this CX500 as a project and pulled the carbs. The right one looked like someone had carefully cleaned it. The left one looked like H3LL warmed over. I cleaned both and put them back. The left cylinder is running but the right only starts to run when you open the throttle a lot.

I have great spark - my nervous system is still twitching from the jolt I got!

I think it is not getting any fuel until the throttle is almost wide open.

I good cleaning of the carbs following your book sounds like it should significantly help!

After that the front brakes, cooling system leaks, and tires. Then maybe a test ride unless I find something else begging for attention!

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Tony, your experiencing the most common effect of a plugged low end circuit. The primary circuit is what is taking over when the rpm's get up to 5K. The low jet circuit is what it runs on from idle to 5K. The book will cover how to get the life back into the bike all the way from idle. Be ready for it too just like the jolt from the coils when you hit the throttle after your done.

My book orders are ready to go out this morning but I don't have one with Tony or Anthony going out. Is the name different? I'll wait to go to the PO until I here from you.

Larry

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yes the name will be Ernest.

Tony is a nick name because I got in a few too many fights over being asked about saving Christmas or if I had a gay lover named Burt. Tony was much easier for me in high and middle school.

Thanks!

I figured that was what I was seeing. The funny part is the clean and shiny one is the one that is misbehaving!

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
OK, it's on the way.

Well now you know that clean and shinny on the outside doesn't make them run right.
You should get the book in a few days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.