Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on CL I want a smaller bike for a girl I'm talking to, got a response about something called an 81 CX500, guy asked if I've heard of it lol, got the 81 in the drive, 80 torn apart in the living room, nope... So he starts talking about how he had to replace the stator and something else, so he was talking about how the guy didn't want to pay for the repair, and I finished with "because the stator's in the back of the motor and you have to drop it and pull off the back cover" and he asked how I knew that... Told him how my parts motor is almost completely disassembled in my living room, and he says "so you know what I'm talking about then" and talked about how the carbs probably need to be cleaned etc, so while I'm there test riding the bike I'm gonna see if he needs a mechanic, that will work for little pay until I've proven myself... So wish me luck, I'm off for a nearly 40 degree test ride, although it's the 2nd warmest day I've had this year, and over 20 degrees warmer than when I parked the bike for the winter...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no luck on either account lol, clutch is shot on the CX, but the guy, who has it for sale at the dealer he works for, is replacing it, and knocking it down from what he originally said, $800 to $750, and the clutch will be in tomorrow or the next day, so I can test ride it then... But after the girl who the bike is for got out of work, I met her, she jumped on the back of my bike, when it's about 38 degrees, and we went and looked at it, and she likes it a lot, needs a back tire, but if we get the bike he'll get us any tire we want for 20% off... Still got at least a few others to check out

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
no luck on either account lol, clutch is shot on the CX, but the guy, who has it for sale at the dealer he works for, is replacing it, and knocking it down from what he originally said, $800 to $750, and the clutch will be in tomorrow or the next day, so I can test ride it then... But after the girl who the bike is for got out of work, I met her, she jumped on the back of my bike, when it's about 38 degrees, and we went and looked at it, and she likes it a lot, needs a back tire, but if we get the bike he'll get us any tire we want for 20% off... Still got at least a few others to check out

20% off shop markup? The tire i'm running now my local dealer is selling for $60 more plus the price of mounting. Not a deal at all.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, the Dunlop D404 he was going to sell us before 20% off was $116, so after it's just under $100, denniskirk.com has it for $64... He did say that he'd mount it for free, but that'd cost the difference between buying it there and buying it online, I wonder if he'll still install it free if we get it somewhere else or not... I reckon we'll find out, if not then I'll just do it, managed to do my front last week.... Thank god for friends with proper tools!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
I think the average mount price for a tire when the rim is off the bike starts at $30. I have seen it up to $60. Even more when they have to take it off the bike. Beware there has been a string a dealers that have no clue how to read direction arrows. Make sure who ever does the tire that they put it on in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
learn to test the stator and have a known good cdi by side as well being able to test the (often intermittent) main fuse. All the info is pinned a the top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.