Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very excited about this bike - I have wanted one since they came out. I also love the Ascots, but this one came my way so here I am! I picked it up Sunday night and am having a hard time leaving it in the garage until I am legal to ride it.

Wow the pictures were way too big. Let me try again.

[attachment=1459:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (2) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1457:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (Medium).jpg]

[attachment=1458:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (1) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1460:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (3) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1461:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (4) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1462:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (5) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1463:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (6) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1464:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (7) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1466:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (8) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1467:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (9) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1468:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (10) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1469:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (11) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1470:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (12) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1471:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (13) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1472:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (14) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1473:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (15) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1474:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (16) (Medium).JPG]

[attachment=1475:1980 Honda CX500C 062111 (17) (Medium).JPG]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
That's in beautiful condition! You should get plenty of great riding out of her. Have you gone through it at all yet? You probably should do some basic checks, there is a good list in the Quick Reference in General Discussion. Pretty may not be the same as what's inside. But from the looks, even the H box is still nice, so it's been stored well. Great low mileage specimen. Congrats.

Joel in the Couve.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's in beautiful condition! You should get plenty of great riding out of her. Have you gone through it at all yet? You probably should do some basic checks, there is a good list in the Quick Reference in General Discussion. Pretty may not be the same as what's inside. But from the looks, even the H box is still nice, so it's been stored well. Great low mileage specimen. Congrats.

Joel in the Couve.

I started checking things over today, but haven't completed the checklist that you linked me to. That will definitely get done over the next few evenings.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not the best photographer! I'll try to get some better pictures as I check things over this week. I have a better camera for that.

·
Registered
915 Posts
You got a very nice bike. Congratulations!!! Ride Safe.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You got a very nice bike. Congratulations!!! Ride Safe.

Thanks for the compliment! I went on ride #3, about 15 miles, tonight. The bike is now parked until I go through her and also get all of the legal work and fees behind me.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, as I have documented in some other threads, I am working through the issues with my bike:

• Carburetors leaking - it has turned out to be a cracked float. I am cleaning, per Larry's Cool Carburetor book. Floats are on the way, the jets look great, I have a good O-ring kit. I need to order the float gaskets today.
  • Split airbox/carburetor boot - I purchased a spare airbox with two good boots and have that installed.
  • Leaking weep hole - I am rounding up parts to take care of this problem. I have a line on a mechanical seal as well, while I am in there.
  • Insurance - it is paid for. I am trying to keep this bike down to no cost to get it on the road. So far, I am doing pretty well. I sold a good running 2-man post hole digger today for $400 cash. I was done building fence and it needed to go anyway. That money bought my insurance and will pay for my safety riding course.

I should be finished with all the legalities and maintenance/repairs by the end of August, possibly sooner. It is really hot right now, and the Lincoln Continental is smooth and has good AC, so I am in no real rush, although I do have an eye on gas prices - they are edging back up around here.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well, as I have documented in some other threads, I am working through the issues with my bike:

• Carburetors leaking - it has turned out to be a cracked float. I am cleaning, per Larry's Cool Carburetor book. Floats are on the way, the jets look great, I have a good O-ring kit. I need to order the float gaskets today.
  • Split airbox/carburetor boot - I purchased a spare airbox with two good boots and have that installed.
  • Leaking weep hole - I am rounding up parts to take care of this problem. I have a line on a mechanical seal as well, while I am in there.
  • Insurance - it is paid for. I am trying to keep this bike down to no cost to get it on the road. So far, I am doing pretty well. I sold a good running 2-man post hole digger today for $400 cash. I was done building fence and it needed to go anyway. That money bought my insurance and will pay for my safety riding course.

I should be finished with all the legalities and maintenance/repairs by the end of August, possibly sooner. It is really hot right now, and the Lincoln Continental is smooth and has good AC, so I am in no real rush, although I do have an eye on gas prices - they are edging back up around here.

Good for you man! Great looking bike.

it is really common for the mechanical seal to leak after sitting. Both of my bikes started leaking shortly after I got them running. Shep's method takes 2 hours or so and has worked well for me.

·
Registered
782 Posts

Man what a beautiful bike !! Looks to be in outstanding condition too. Lotsa miles left in her.

Sounds like you are going to enjoy her.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good for you man! Great looking bike.

it is really common for the mechanical seal to leak after sitting. Both of my bikes started leaking shortly after I got them running. Shep's method takes 2 hours or so and has worked well for me.
I've been seeing Shep's method, but where is the link?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks in great shape! I wish my side covers had the graphics like on yours, mine are just painted black. Nice Bike!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks in great shape! I wish my side covers had the graphics like on yours, mine are just painted black. Nice Bike!

Thanks for the compliment! I can hardly wait to get some miles under me. I think I might have a leak around the thermostat housing. I am running a bit more vinegar through the cooling system, then a couple of good flushes with clean water. I can smell the vinegar and there are some spots on the motor, but not under the weep hole. I got a tank full of gas earlier, so the plan is to let the bike cool off, wipe the motor down, in case the water spots are just from overfill when I was topping off the radiator without the cap on, and go for an evening ride. If it is leaking, I'll pull the tank back off tomorrow and go from there.

·
Registered
583 Posts

Good eye stitch

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It turns out that I didn't have the radiator cap all of the way down, so no coolant leak - hooray!

Just a thought. Check out that rear tire. Looks like it's on backwards but i'm not sure.

Good eye stitch

Jeez, you gotta be kidding me? I guess I'd better read how to break these tires down.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
It turns out that I didn't have the radiator cap all of the way down, so no coolant leak - hooray!

Jeez, you gotta be kidding me? I guess I'd better read how to break these tires down.

Most places charge $30 to do a mount an balance if you don't have the time. Otherwise the best way I have found is with a big C clamp and a 2 inch washer just so the screwing end doesn't punch through the tire.

Place the clamp on the inside of the rim and slide the washer up against the rim with the tire deflated. Actually remove the air fitting inside the stem. If the stem looks bad just cut it off. Old stems can kill.

Tighten the clamp and eventually the bead will break. Then do the other side.

After that any video that shows how to use the prybars will work.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the heads up and the tips. I will swing by Harbor Freight tomorrow for some tire irons.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I actually use prybars rounded off a bit so they don't punch holes in the rubber. 3 usually does the job. The harbor freight irons just look to thick.

One thing to know is if it fights you then you're doing it wrong. Take a breath and see why it's not working. Lubricant is your friend even if it's just water.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very interesting! I used to have tire irons back in High School - nothing like a fresh set of bias plies. I wonder whatever happened to those irons? I'll check out the prybars. Different lengths?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.