Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be wrong but I thought I read on here somewere that one of you had put a pilot hole into the back case to allow access to the cam tenioner,Am I correct? if so can someone point me in the right direction please.

cheers

mal

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Sounds like an interesting dream. It's probably a common part on the Cx750 custom that I have been dreaming of.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Malc

the only thing that comes to mind on that is

when someone talked about fitting a TI( auto tensioner) back cover to a CDI case and drilling to allow the manual tensioner bolt to stick out.

To be honest I dont recall if it was actually done or just theorised about.

Off hand I cant see what an extra hole might allow you to do other than poke

sticks in to idly pass the time

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks reg and kingston, one of our nz mebers was asking how he could work out if the auto tensioner was stuffed besides taking the block out etc. I htought (theres that dream again) that some one had drilled a pilot hole to look inside (and poke sticks into)but now that reg has triggered the grey matter it was all a figement of my imagination.

But why could it not be done? and little window looking glass to see how your tensioner is travelling---were's the med's

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Seems like if someone wants to go through the trouble of dropping the engine to mod it then they should go ahead.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I suppose you could put a sight glass in there if you wanted

but I think if you thought your auto tensioner was buggered you could

still poke a stick in the present one and see if anything rattles

On a related note

I have seen those little cameras on bendy sticks on Ebay

this sort of thing, easier than cutting lumps out of yer rear cover

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-Snake-Cam...20698424551?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item1c1a2fcce7

·
Registered
168 Posts
Papi, the technical guru on the French Twinning site, has published a method of modifying the auto tensionner to extend its stroke which includes drilling an additional weep hole for lubricating the unit and redrilling the location of the spring pin stopper. That may be what you were recalling/dreaming. I published an english tranlsation of the method on the old site a while back and I probably still have it somewhere on one of my drives. This modification is relatively simple and should be done on all automatic tensioners which were only found on the 650's and turbos in North America but on some of the smaller bores in Europe. I have done it on my main drive and it is still running noiseless after 161,000 km (100k miles)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Papi, the technical guru on the French Twinning site, has published a method of modifying the auto tensionner to extend its stroke which includes drilling an additional weep hole for lubricating the unit and redrilling the location of the spring pin stopper. That may be what you were recalling/dreaming. I published an english tranlsation of the method on the old site a while back and I probably still have it somewhere on one of my drives. This modification is relatively simple and should be done on all automatic tensioners which were only found on the 650's and turbos in North America but on some of the smaller bores in Europe. I have done it on my main drive and it is still running noiseless after 161,000 km (100k miles)

John

I'd be very interested in seeing that if you still have it or can point me to it

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like pictures....
I found the file in my old stuff (dated may 2000!), and realized I had only translated half of it so I did the rest. It is in a word document and I do not know how to post it on this site. I may have to mail it to Don to get it on his document board.

Here is the link to the original version on the French site. Hit the button labelled "du mou dans la distribution"(slack in the distribution) You may have to join to get to that part.

Tensioner rebuild link on French Twinning club.

I need an address to mail this too.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I found the file in my old stuff (dated may 2000!), and realized I had only translated half of it so I did the rest. It is in a word document and I do not know how to post it on this site. I may have to mail it to Don to get it on his document board.

Here is the link to the original version on the French site. Hit the button labelled "du mou dans la distribution"(slack in the distribution) You may have to join to get to that part.

Tensioner rebuild link on French Twinning club.

I need an address to mail this too.

Thanks

John

I have the page bookmarked but

I'd be grateful if you could mail your translation to me at [email protected]

Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.