Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am new here and I recently (last Friday) acquired an 1982 CX500 'Shadow' and have gotten straight to modifying it. So far I have stripped paint off tank and sprayed in a clear coat, painted frame, general tidy up, and I'm waiting on new bars, grips, mirrors, lights, indicators, seat, and gauges! Once I get the gauges I would like to retain some way of telling if the bike is getting too hot. I see a lot of people are replacing the temperature sensor and gauge with a switch and an LED.

If I go with switch/LED combo: What temperature switch (like fan switch but higher temp) are people using? What temperature would be appropriate for a warning light to come on, I am thinking around 95-100°C? I think it needs to be an M16 x 1.5 thread, is that right?

If I stick with temperature gauge/sensor combo: Any recommendations for a small, chrome, temp gauge that won't break the bank? If using a new gauge, do I need a new sensor also? Or perhaps a new housing for stock gauge?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is one bit I have not been able to figure out yet.

Here is my stock bike:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

And here it is with stripped and clear coated tank:
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Still not sure if I should get tank properly painted, but all in good time.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Make sure we are talking about the same thing, as there is a temp sensor that displays the temp on the stock gauges, then there is the fan temp switch to turn on an electric fan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for question, I am talking about replacing the sensor to the gauge with a temp switch (similar to a fan switch but higher temp) that switches a warning LED on at a certain temperature.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
OK, got it. Been a while since I looked at the temp breakdown page I made for the standard sensor (think its in a post somewhere), but the key thing would be to have the light come on at a temp that was considered getting too hot as opposed to "holy crap, meltdown min 3-2-1". Cant remember off hand what the temp value of the "max you really want to see" is, but as long as the switch turns on there or a little before it should give you some "warning time breathing room". As for the sensor thread, even if you cant find of the right pitch, there are usually work arounds in the form of adapters.
I myself do prefer a gauge form, as I used to hate the temp lights I had in older vehicles that really only told you "its too hot" and not "how hot is it, a bit hot or aluminum starting to melt hot" :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I thought about this same issue, but am old school and like to see the changes on a gauge. I decided to go with an Equus 1.5" water temp gauge. I found a chrome Harley gauge cup on ebay that fits nice, but is a little too shallow for the standard backlight that the gauge comes with, so I need to find a weak LED to mount in it. It even comes with the correct size sensor that screws right in where the original one was. The gauge was around $30 and the chrome gauge cup was around $25. I painted the gauge ring to match my paint scheme. Below is a picture. I can take more if you need. I am still in the build phase, so I have not had the bike running with the new gauges yet.
Auto part Speedometer Automotive tire Motorcycle accessories Vehicle

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice, I think your right and I would like to keep an eye on temperature, so gauge will likely be the better option.

The gauges I ordered are chrome surround and cups with black dials:
Drinkware Speedometer Mug Gauge Measuring instrument Speedometer Auto part Tachometer

So I have found a chrome cup: Automotive exhaust Auto part Aluminium foil Muffler Cylinder and I'm thinking of getting this temp gauge to match: Gauge Speedometer Measuring instrument Tachometer Tool

Will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
506 Posts
This is my setup, with Equus temp gauge and custom pod made form stainless steel exhaust pipe. The Equus comes with the correct adaptor. easy install.

I have the same speedo and rev counter.

Tachometer Speedometer Gauge Auto part Measuring instrument

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Engine Tire

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, I sure wouldnt use the rad as a location for the switch, definitely not for monitoring engine temp. Temp should be measured at the thermostat housing in the engine water flow. Bottom of the rad will only show water temp passed by the thermostat, and if it sticks you will never know you have a problem

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for replies. Leanordovans those gauges look good, nice to see them on a bike, hopefully the chrome cup I found looks as good. The Equus gauges seem to be recommended a bit but I can't find a black faced, chrome bezel one that reads in °C, will keep looking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still waiting to find right temp gauge but my other gauges and the temp gauge cup arrived today, so I couldn't wait to install. Still waiting on new front light as well, hence the original plastic surround.
Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories Auto part

However I can not get the oil pressure and neutral lights to work. I've checked LED's and they are fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Making Indicator idiot light work.

So, after a bit of trial and error I have sorted out almost all the wiring for my new gauges except for one issue, my new gauges just have one indicator idiot light rather than two left/right ones. Obviously when I wire both indicators together it simply puts both sides on at once, which defies their purpose, and if I wore the idiot light straight to the flasher, the flasher goes constantly. Is there anyway of having a single idiot light for both left and right indicators without my flasher staying on or linking left and right together? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
23,094 Posts
Someone that's up on electronics can advise you on what to use but basically you just need to add a diode either side of the idiot light to stop the power bleeding across.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Yep, just take the two lines that used to go to the indicators, place a diode on each one and then join the other end of the diodes together and use that point to drive the single indicator.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Just make sure they are labled as "rectifier" (anything in the 1N4XXX series) and not "signal diode" (like 1N914)

·
Registered
33 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts