Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone

i'm from switzerland and i have a cx500 custom from 83. I customized it quite a bit. In the wintertime i plan to tear it apart and repaint all parts that Need this done. Now i have a few questions concertning this process and i'm thankful for all the advice i can get. I serched the fForum but havent found the answer to my main question:

when already i'm tearing apart the motorcycle:

1. what parts should be replaced or checked? cdi is already exchanged... but, what else?
2. Powdercoat or paint the frame? what is the better Option?

Is ist possible for a non-pro to tear this bike apart and rebuild it or are there too many tricky parts?

thanks a lot for your help!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You can do it. Take lots of photo and keep the different units in bags or boxes with labels.
Most folks seem to prefer powder coating but that can get expensive.
I will restore a Yamaha XS650 in the next few months and I will paint everything myself,
some of it rattle can paint. My biggest problem is time, if I let a project set around too long
I have a hard time remembering at what stage i was when I stopped.
I have worked on several CX500s including a Turbo and they are not that tricky, just a lot of work.
Download the FSM from the wiki, that manual will be a great help. Good luck.
Also there are a lot of helpful members on this forum. Ask questions if you need to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your advice! Good idea with the pictures and boxes!
So, if already i'm going for it, what parts should i replace?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
If you have not done a cam chain replacement or the mechanical seal, you should check them to see if it is time.
If the cam chain adjuster is past the half way mark, replace the chain and possibly the guides and as long as you have the back off replace the mechanical seal and check the stator readings.

Download the FSM from the link below and be sure to get the addendum for your year bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts