Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Sorry for my silence there has been a lot of things on as of late. I have come back to my cx500 project and am putting in a tapered bearing kit, however there is no "smaller washer" that is mentioned here frequently included in the kit so I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me what size washer I will need to put under the bottom bearing and seal to make sure the tree doesn't scrape when the bearings have set.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
388 Posts
How ever big it needs to be to stop the stem gouging the lower triple, but not so big as to leave you with no thread remaining for your top lock nut.

·
Super Moderator
21,130 Posts
Generally what I've seen when they were supplying 2 alternative washers for use with the bearings was that they supplied one 2 mm thick and one 4 mm thick.

4 mm won't allow proper thread engagement so I used the 2 mm washer.

But .... best to measure before driving that bearing onto the yoke.

It's also good practice to take a large round file and file a rebate in the frames bearing seating area to allow a lip that will allow space to get a drift onto the cup for the day it has to be driven out again.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Here you go.....measure your stock bottom bearings in the race:

Compare the measurement to the tapered bearings with the washer included (I used the thinner washer, as you see, it was off from stock but the thicker washer was too much):

(in All Balls kits there are two washers):

The top retainer needs to be modified....here's it part way done:

And ground smooth (I used the Dremmel grinding accessories shown to do the work):

The mods on the retainer are so you have sufficient threads for tightening.......

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts