Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when riding i had to let both of my hands go from the handlebar and almost right away i got a crazy tank slapper/speed wobble when doing that. I am quite sure bikes should go forward nicely without using hands and turn when shifting bodyweight. Why doesnt my bike go in a straight line when not using hands?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Loose steering bearings can contribute to that, but a big factor is load distribution. Insufficient load on the front wheel can make it unstable.
Shift you body weight forward, and see if the effect is reduced. (After checking tension on the steering stem, of course.)

Randall

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say that my bike is standard. New front wheel bearings also. But i still have the original tires that im gonna change really soon, can they be the cause when they maybe have flat spots on them from standing for years or something?
That would make sense because i have 3 luggage boxes on but they were empty. Going to check the tension on the steering stem.

·
Super Moderator
20,569 Posts
Brinnelled steering bearings come to mind.

Put your bike on the centrestand and jack the front wheel off of the ground.

Turn the steering lock to lock. Any vibration, tight spots or other weirdness?

When put near the straight ahead position the steering doesn't sort of 'click in' to straight?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the tension on the steering stem but it was ok. I put the front wheel between my legs and tried turning the handlebars and saw that the front shocks would bend (seems a little too much in my opinion) mostly from the place where the front fender is mounted. Going to check the steering bearings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had similar symptoms, two hands on the bars and no problem. Take of one and the wobble begins... I never took both hands off. The replaced the steering bearings with All Balls bearings and no more wobble. Give you an excuse to service the forks while they are off.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You don't have a windshield, do you?
Dumb question I know, but a buddy had a handlebar-mounted windscreen on his BMW R75 that would cause these same symptoms. He pulled it right off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steering was easy and smooth when front wheel was off the ground so i dont think that bearings are the issue. All clamps are tight. I have no windscreen.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Steering was easy and smooth when front wheel was off the ground so i dont think that bearings are the issue. All clamps are tight. I have no windscreen.
Man you are asking to crash. 1982 original tires. What are you thinking?
I still suspect your steering bearings, but your ties are going to kill you.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was wondering about the condition of the tires also. I would only take old tires for a spin around the block at 25 mph...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I could not believe the difference when I put new tires on my GL500. Before that, I thought I was riding a Flintstone's motorcycle!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Everything I've read (including here on the forum) states replace tires approx. 5-6 years. Even if they have deep enough tread the rubber has hardened up, lost some grip and usually dry rotted/cracked. Not the condition you want to ride on two wheels for sure.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess im going to order new tires and hope they are the source of the problem.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I've had several GL650s that would ride unhanded on US interstates for a mile at a time with sweeping turns (when no traffic nearby) at various speeds. Empty or loaded for touring. If it will not there is something wrong. Seems like tires are whats left to correct. Loose rear swing arms might be an issue, but that is rare and unlikely. All above noted issues are possible causes though. When you say "original tires" I doubt they/it is really from 1982, but understand you have reason to believe it is too old. I'm not a "5 years and replace it" sort of guy, but there does come a time . . .

·
Registered
968 Posts
When I got my first 1980 Deluxe in 2015 it had the original tires from 1980. A bike with 5000 miles or so could still have the original tires.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm still wondering why he "had to let go" with both hands while driving.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts