Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been posted. I did do a search and even looked in the quick reference thread but I didn't see it. I want to remove my gas tank to paint it. What do I need to know to remove it and how do I go about it? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Once you take the seat off, all you have to do is

1. Turn petcock to off

2. The fuel line going into the carbs connects on the left side of the bike (follow it from the petcock), it uses a little tension ring clamp to keep it on the carb. Disconnect this line.

3. On top of the bike where the seat would be, on the very rear part of the tank, there is one bolt that holds the gas tank on the bike. Undo it

4. Pull the rear part up a little bit, and then pull the tank towards the rear of the bike. It should sort of slide backwards and off.

What color are you going with? And are you going to be painting it yourself? Rattlecan or more elaborate?

I am thinking about painting mine yellow after I get her running...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
What kind of bike do you have? Mine was reeeaaaaaalllllly easy. Remove the bolt at the bottom of the tank, make sure nothing is connected, lift off.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
What kind of bike do you have? Mine was reeeaaaaaalllllly easy. Remove the bolt at the bottom of the tank, make sure nothing is connected, lift off.

Dakota,

The avatar photo is a CX and the tank comes off differently than your GL. The different CX models have different steps to removal also.

·
Registered
639 Posts
On an '82 CX500 Custom that I used the own, you had to first remove the seat -- two bolts on either side of the seat held it down. Then remove the bolt at the back of the tank under the seat. Then remove two more bolts on either side of the front of the tank up by the steering head. Pull off the fuel hoses and the tank comes right off.

What kind of bike do you have?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Dakota,

The avatar photo is a CX and the tank comes off differently than your GL. The different CX models have different steps to removal also.

David,

Hence the question of what kind of bike it was.... My av photo for a bit was a bear, dressed as a Chicago Bear- that does not mean I play for the Bears, photos are just photos and without the profile editing, it's a valid question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts