Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a really nice condition tank super clean and no exterior damage but the inside is crusty and rusty...lol. Already put it through the ringer with Evaporust soak and shake with some chains in the tank etc...still has a pretty good layer of crusty rust. Anyone tried and tank liner systems or have a recommendation for anything stronger? I know this is a well discussed topic just wanted to get some insight from y'all on here... Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Mine was super crusty and I used electrolysis and it really cleaned the heavy stuff off. Just google the subject, lots of info on it. There are other goods ways, that's just one.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
97 Posts
Filled my rusty tank with approx 10L of phosphoric acid (this is rust remover you can find at the hardware store). Shaked the tank to stir the acid around every few hours and put it in different positions to make sure acid had time to remove rust everywhere. After 3 days there is no rust left. Clean with hot water and dry with heat gun. Some flash rust is inevitable after cleaning with water but functionally doesn't matter.

If you need to line it I heard good reviews about the POR15 and Caswell liner kits but I have yet to try them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Filled my rusty tank with approx 10L of phosphoric acid (this is rust remover you can find at the hardware store). Shaked the tank to stir the acid around every few hours and put it in different positions to make sure acid had time to remove rust everywhere. After 3 days there is no rust left. Clean with hot water and dry with heat gun. Some flash rust is inevitable after cleaning with water but functionally doesn't matter.

If you need to line it I heard good reviews about the POR15 and Caswell liner kits but I have yet to try them.
Would something like this do the job?

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, that's phosphoric acid, it'll do the job. What I like about this is that it leaves a phosphate coat on the steel which helps paint stick and mildly prevents corrosion.

Another use I have of this is to clean chromed parts. It very nicely cleaned the chrome mufflers and guards on my bike.

Beware, if you use it on zinc plated hardware it's going to strip the zinc plating in no time. Same thing to black oxide hardware. It will also blacken aluminum.

You can leave mild steel soaking to remove rust without affecting the base steel. But on hardened steel it'll eventually start to eat the steel, I ruined an old BMX rear wheel sprocket trying to derust it after leaving it soaking for the night. Next morning the teeth were half eaten and there were pits on the surface.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Since it's sometimes hard to distinguish between varnish and rust, I've tried various different solutions. Simple green, paint thinner, vinegar, Evaporust, nut, bolts, bicycle chains, etc.

I try to just use Evaporust since it doesn't etch the metal. After using anything acidic it's likely you'll need a liner. I've had decent luck with POR15 as long as you follow directions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts