Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
984 Posts
Any recommendations on a tank bag for traveling?
Check out Tour Master. The one on the bike in the avatar is 20 yrs old. It's a little small for serious touring; but does ok for the gloves and eyeware/earplugs; flashlight etc.

Size depends on what your intended purpose will be. But be sure to get one with rot-proof thread so it can withstand being in the rain.

Ebay even has some used ones. Discount honda parts has Nelson Riggs, chase harper and others.

http://www.discounthondaparts.com/eshopitems_cat_6250-19188-28313_limit_n.more.htm

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
WisconsinCx had one he really liked but I forgot the name.

David in Wisconsin also has one. And it has a see through map pouch.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I recently purchased 2 Fieldsheer tank bags on sale @ BikeBandit.com. I got mine for $19.99 ea. The price has gone up since then. It is not a huge bag (13"W x 10.5"H x 4.5"D) but it works great for me and my wife. It stays in place and it is water resistant. My wife and I tested the water resistance last week. We rode 75 miles in a down pour. Everything inside both bags stayed dry.

Tank Bag

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just going to ask about the magnetic holding ones, looks like a good quick idea.

·
Registered
745 Posts
got me a 2 story that can separated going on 2 yrs, baught it on-line motodirctusa,, made out of canvas ,good customer service..

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got a Motopak "GT-35" - it can get really big, like eat small children big, but it also splits down into three different combination depending on your load. You can convert it into a backpack (something I thought I'd never use until I got stuck in Utah) and it has a built-in rain cover that truly is waterproof. The pockets on the outside are great for the little things.

See a pic on my bike here. I bought mine off of ebay as the company seems to sell them direct.

~Thom

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was just going to ask about the magnetic holding ones, looks like a good quick idea.

I've been using this for about 4 months and 4k miles. First, I thought it would move/drift at highway speeds due to vibration etc. but never had any problems. I should mention I have a National Cycle Plexifairing 3 windshield, I'm not sure if it would be as stable w/out it.

You can print maps and put inside the clear case. It's very useful on the long trips.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LG-M...Accessories&hash=item43a1510aec#ht_2748wt_958

·
Registered
583 Posts
If I was going to get a bag, i'd make sure that I get one with a clear pouch on the top for maps and directions.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've got an Icon tank bag with a clear map pocket on top (very useful). It's about school backpack size and actually turns into a backpack with a helmet sling and is pretty waterproof, although the zippers aren't. It has a rubberised non-slip base with 4 pretty powerful magnets, 2 side pockets and a pocket at the back with a grommet for headphones. Also has a quick release strap at the top that you fasten around the front frame as a safety. The GL's frame was actually too robust in front of the tank for the strap to go around so I had to fab a little bracket out of flatbar and bolt it to the frame, using the convenient 1/4" hole that was just sitting there waiting some such thing.

Worked great but could be a little bigger. It's what I packed all my I-need-to-have-this-stuff-near-me-at-all-times stuff in. Didn't slip much on the tank but the wind did work on it. Quick release was nice, as mentioned, I pretty much kept it with me whenever I got off the bike. Good for gassing up too.

Big enough for maps, bathroon kit, roll of toilet paper, a couple of cameras, wallet & spare keys, gloves, goggles, sunscreen, bugspray, spare batteries, bottle of water, clean t-shirt, hat, phone and a canoe. A very small canoe.

And I don't have a pic of it by itself but here it's on the Fish.

·
Registered
835 Posts
...........Big enough for maps, bathroon kit, roll of toilet paper, a couple of cameras, wallet & spare keys, gloves, goggles, sunscreen, bugspray, spare batteries, bottle of water, clean t-shirt, hat, phone and a canoe. A very small canoe.

Okay... I need to see a piture of a canoe - in a tank bag - on a motorcycle

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
A very small canoe...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a Fieldsheer Eiffel II. It has two bags: a small one that I use every day, and a larger one that is good for traveling. If you really need some carrying capacity, you can stack them. You can also use the larger one as a tail bag -- it has 4 good corner rings for bungie/tie-downs. It's a really nice system. I just searched it, and they're on closeout at Bike Bandit for $68. That's with the strap base. I have the magnetic base, and really like it, but for $68, I'd happily live with the strap. In some instances, I'd actually prefer the strap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts