Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been looking for an older 70's-80's bike with the intention of making minor tweaks and after lots of research the CX500 seems to fit the bill.

My only concern is that I am 6ft4 (195cm) and I wondered if the cylinder heads are likely to cause any problems? I have tried searching and found discussions relating to peoples knees/shins getting warm!
I know everybody has different proportions, but are there any other taller riders who could comment?

This forum looks like a great source of information with a good community :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I'm about 6' 4 or 5" and ride a gL500. No problem with the cylinder heads and my legs, lots of room.

·
Registered
237 Posts
a few centimeters shorter here, my knees overheat on a CX500 Custom, I'm reasonably comfortable on a Z/A/B or a GL500/650, but don't like the seating on the CX500E. Still a matter of taste as well, YMMV..

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I'm 5'10 and the only model I made knee contact with was the CX650C, that one seemed to me to be a little different than the others, and I've ridden them all, CX/GLs that is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the info, is the custom much different to the standard cx500? (UK) I'm not familiar with the Z/A/B/CX500E?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Stay away from the regular Custom models - the stepped seat will place you too close to the cylinder heads.

Any of the other models - especially the Euro models will suit your long legs well.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Z,A, B refer to the year of the standard CX500 AFAIK, Z=78, A=80, B=81. The CX500E is the best looking of the CX/GL models IMHO, after the CX650E.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Z,A, B refer to the year of the standard CX500 AFAIK, Z=78, A=80, B=81. The CX500E is the best looking of the CX/GL models IMHO, after the CX650E.
What were the seats like? The NC750x has a similar seat and it seems for any riding over 4 hours requires an after market seat.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I like the seat and riding position on the CX650E better than the GL500, and I like the GL500. I have been on extended rides, 10 hours or so in a day, on both bikes. The body felt better after the ride on the CX650E compared to the GL500.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I like the seat and riding position on the CX650E better than the GL500, and I like the GL500. I have been on extended rides, 10 hours or so in a day, on both bikes. The body felt better after the ride on the CX650E compared to the GL500.
Maybe comparison to a GL650 would be fairer? David says this is a stock seat, but it looks more cushy to me:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Hi Cheesegromet,
6ft tall with 35 inch inseem, or super long legs for my height. Would recommend a Gl first then a a eurosport . Both I owned had home made highway pegs on. Oh yeah knees miss cylinder heads.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Littlewing "Maybe comparison to a GL650 would be fairer? David says this is a stock seat, but it looks more cushy to me: "

Comparison based on the bikes I have experience with. As far as seat and seating position go the GL500 and GL650 are near identical. AFAIK

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Comparison based on the bikes I have experience with. As far as seat and seating position go the GL500 and GL650 are near identical. AFAIK
But there are different factors that make a difference for longer rides like lower rpms and a different suspension. I'll be able to compare soon. The larger trunk on the passenger seat seems to add comfort. You feel like you can sit further back and don't have to hold as tight on acceleration. Gives a more casual feel.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
But there are different factors that make a difference for longer rides like lower rpms and a different suspension. I'll be able to compare soon. The larger trunk on the passenger seat seems to add comfort. You feel like you can sit further back and don't have to hold as tight on acceleration. Gives a more casual feel.
The GL650's seat is plusher and the suspension feels a little stiffer than the GL500. The engine sounds are different too. I was surprised the first time the electric fan kicked in at a stop light. The fan might be part of the reason for the different sounds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts