Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the overall goal of my 81 cx500c is to have a very board track racer inspired look. The biggest thing for me visually is how small the rear tire is. I would like to modify it to fit a taller tire that would come up behind the rider more. I have considered the cx650 swing arm swap with the cx500 seventies rear wheel which is larger. I know its ambisious but I would love to match the front and back wheels size wise. I am looking for tall tire look not fat. Are these viable ideas or just a big pain in the but. Also if anyone has any ideas on how to help me achieve this look, that would be great, I am a pretty good fabricator but if I can learn from your experience that would save me from doing things over or the wrong way.

·
Super Moderator
15,329 Posts
Large pain.

The cx650 swing arm is different and takes a different final drive and rim type.

You would be best sticking with the 18 inch rear and going with a 19 front. What's one inch going to matter?

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you don't mind the work.. pick up a pair of 21" dirt bike rims virtually any old condition (rusty/cheap) I'd use 1.85" front and 2.15" rear. Then bead blast them and either powder coat or simply paint them. The painted rims and wire spokes would lend period authenticity to the project. Now lace them to your Honda hubs using the plate system. Where you machine alu. plates that bolt to the hub where normally the Comstar spokes go. The new alu. plates are of course round and have the wire spoke holes bored around the circumference. Several guys have done this and it's pretty clever. Right now "Kneeslider" has it on his CX trackbike so search that thread (current thread) The tires might be a trick but as a last resort you could use two front tires with a slightly wider in the rear. Yep, tall and skinny is the way to go for the board tracker. I've wanted to do a 1930 styled board tracker with a 500cc four stroke single cylinder, with chain drive. Good luck and go for it.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Super Moderator
15,329 Posts
yeah, go for the 78 rims.

is the 83 rear any bigger than the 79-82 rims? i thought they were all 16's.

It's a 15 inch rim on the cx650 and a 16 on the gl650.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put a 78 cx rear wheel on my c to gain some more ground clearance and I wanted a dual type tire, but the comstar spokes are turned around from the C but I didnt care, but you could paint them.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
What I like about thread resurrection is that it suggests that someone has been using the search function, Robin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts