Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My headlight and starter button are going in and out. Kind of have to fiddle with the starter button to get it to respond. Pretty sure I need to thoroughly clean the contacts inside. I've opened it up before and blasted it with contact cleaner, but never disassembled and fully cleaned/greased it.

This link in the wiki looks helpful for the disassembly:
http://cx500forum.com/forum/technical-help-forum/16097-start-button-switch-pictures.html

Should I actually take off the whole clamshell and bring it inside to clean? Where do I disconnect the two cables that go into the clamshell?

I just don't want to mess anything up when I try to remove it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've never actually taken one of those switches off, but I'm pretty sure there are a couple of screws underneath that clamp it on the handlebar. It's solid at that point, no fear of parts just falling out. And if you are referring to the throttle cables, I believe that the ends tie into a plastic sleeve that slides onto the handlebar and in part sits underneath the shell. (The ones in the pics were cut off) My guess is that you can loosen the cables, slide the ends out of the sleeve and then drop them out of the shell or some variation thereof. I really don't think you can mess too much up in trying. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts