Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a 250-mile trip over the weekend and noticed that at times, when in high gear and traveling more than 50 mph, the tach floated up and down about 500 rpm. Most of the time it was fine, but over the trip it did this a few times for a few minutes. Is this a common issue, and should I be concerned about whatever causes this affecting other instruments in the future? I have only had this bike for a week, so I was pleased that it ran strong for the whole trip.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I don't think it is a common problem, but it also shouldn't affect any of the other instruments either. I am assuming the engine didn't vary it's speed, but just the tach needle wavered around. It probably needs a cleaning and relubing, but that is a lot easier said than done. You might just try lubing the tach cable first. Just take it off from the rear of the tach gauge and drop about 10 drops of a light machine oil into the end. Put it back on and see if it helped.

The next step would be to open up the tach case and clean out any oil grease/oil that may be causing the problem. Then re-lubing the bearing and closing it back up. You will have to cut or de-crimp the chrome band to get at the insides. Cutting it is easier and faster. Then drill small holes in the cut ends and wire twist it back to tight. Don't get any cleaning solvents on the face or dial, it will melt the plastic.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts

The next step would be to open up the tach case and clean out any oil grease/oil that may be causing the problem.  Then re-lubing the bearing and closing it back up.  You will have to cut or de-crimp the chrome band to get at the insides.  Cutting it is easier and faster.  Then drill small holes in the cut ends and wire twist it back to tight.  Don't get any cleaning solvents on the face or dial, it will melt the plastic.

I found that out the hard way the first time I tried to clean my speedo.  I ended up with a nice, clean, numberless speedometer.  

1 - 3 of 3 Posts