Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drove about 100 miles yesterday and the final 20 miles or so I noticed something funky with my tachometer - the needle kinda bounces around. Kinda hard to explain but it's very noticeable when shifting gears. Just for example if I shift up and it drops to 4000RPM the needle will go to 4000RPM then "bounce" from 4000RPM to 5000RPM or so and just kinda...bounce...up and down until finally settling where it should be.

The engine revs don't change and there's absolutely no performance difference but the tachometer is just acting funky. Checked the cable and it appears to be OK but just in case I unscrewed / rescrewed the connections to no effect. Is this just a loose needle? It's not a HUGE deal but it's kinda annoying. I don't really use the tach a whole lot because I pretty much use the sound of the engine and the feel of the bike when switching gears but....it's still damn annoying.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You need to try lubricating the input shaft. Detach the cable unbolt the tach from the case and turn it so the input is as inverted as possible then apply a couple drops of light weight lube around the input and let it soak in spin the input counterclockwise add another drop or two. Do not put in too much it will get onto the face or gum up the magnetic drive inside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.