Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Tach cable

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Blue Fox 
#1 ·
Hi tach stopped working well it when slow first before stopping. I Got a new cable BUT

How do I get to the engine end? I thought I read on the old forum you can do it with a long screw driver from the top.

I cant even see where the cable goes....

HELP

#3 ·
After 30 years of fun there probably isn't an easy solution.

If you don't know the age of your coolant or if you do just drain the radiator. Remove it and get better access to the spot.

In my case on one engine I had to remove the fan and then had to get out some vise grips to get the screw out. Once removed replace it with the correct hex head bolt and thread it in from the top left going down at an angle. You should never have to replace the cable again but if you do it will be easier this way.

#6 ·
shit! just happened to me too...worst part is I replaced the cable last year about this time and remember what a PITA it was...

I was wondering if i could somehow extract the broken inner cable (snapped about halfway down), and slide in a new inner. Anyone tried this before?

#7 ·
I have just replaced the inner tach cable, but it is still the same PITA. You have to get to, and remove the bottom fitting at the tach drive behind the fan. The cable slides in from that end. And the end has a notch on the inner cable to fit over the tach drive tab. So if you are remaking a complete new inner cable, you will have to pull the old inner cable out of this fitting and solder in a new cable. Then solder and square off the upper end, making sure that the new one is exactly the same length as the old one.

I have accessed that locking screw with a 24" extension on a 3/8 ratchet from the lower right side without taking everything off. It isn't the easiest spot to locate and remove the screw, but it can be done. It probably took almost as long as removing everything and doing it right tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.