Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad I got there once. It was a great weekend as I got to meet or revisit a lot of really great guys from our world, from oldies like Phil, to ferners like Glenn, the "famous" like Charles and his dad, my first two real rebel aquaintances Gene and Dave, and one of the rare Turbo legends, Dan. There were several others too, but I'll admit to a few gaps in the old memory in this quick recounting. It was an unforgettable weekend! It was my one and only ride on The Dragon, too. I'll miss the old place, but as for the riders, our paths still cross at various bunkhouses and breakfast tables. Yours should too, go to a CX/GL Rally!

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
That weekend in June 2005 was also very special to me. For years prior to that time I had been lurking on the various CX/GL boards but had rarely posted. The various online names were all quite familiar to me, though.

When the rally at TWO was announced I knew I had to go. Everyone was very friendly and made an effort to make this newcomer feel welcome to the group. The rest is history.

Don in Oz was also there. Dick had just procured a GL500I for him.

Rich, if I recall correctly you made the trip on a rat bike. Way cool.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rat bike? Hmmmffpptt, I resemble that comment! Just because it's name was "Rusty". And you on that very nice GL650I you had scored on the 'bay. Ah, sitting in rockers on the porch in the company of old friends, new friends, and LEGENDS. The roads around T.W.O. were so neat that a trip to Walmart was an adventure. And on the ride back to New England I surprised Ernie by not getting killed in a BRP tunnel. I have gotten my cataracts fixed since then. Gene must have pictures from that weekend. Hummingbirds around the porch, old bikes in the creek and all.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Rat bike? Hmmmffpptt, I resemble that comment! Just because it's name was "Rusty". And you on that very nice GL650I you had scored on the 'bay. Ah, sitting in rockers on the porch in the company of old friends, new friends, and LEGENDS. The roads around T.W.O. were so neat that a trip to Walmart was an adventure. And on the ride back to New England I surprised Ernie by not getting killed in a BRP tunnel. I have gotten my cataracts fixed since then. Gene must have pictures from that weekend. Hummingbirds around the porch, old bikes in the creek and all.

Rich, ask and ye shall receive!

I think this was upstairs and there are some very familiar faces in this picture!

The famous "front porch"! Thats Dick near the camera!

This was during our cookout.

This is Dick Smith coming across the parking lot.

Our international attendees! Glenn & Don.

I think I have a few more, just have to search through a few more old hds.

Thanks for the Memories!

Gene

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Thanks Bandit, maybe you are the one who left the old bike in the woods or the bike off in the creek. For those of you who have never had a chance to get by TWO I am posting a few more pictures.

A view of the lodge from across the road.

A closer view. There are some familiar folks in this one!

Speaking of ugly folks, no I mean familiar folks!

Here is another view of the "yard birds" on the porch!

Gene

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
OK, shall I go on? Well, why not! Here are a few more. BTW if needed I will come back to these posts and try to identify those in the pictures.

This is Dan Topping on one of his turbos being checked out by our token Yankee, Rich!

Here again are our international attendees, Don Seedsman from Oz on the left and Glenn Coates from Canada on the right.

Talking motorcycles in the parking lot is Dick Smith (Charles's Dad) on the left, Glenn and Rich on the right.

Bandit, is this the old bike you abandoned in the woods?

Gene

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Rich, I hope you are happy, you may have created a monster! Here's some more.

This Glenn as he arrived. He did his usual straight through ride, stopping, I think only for fuel for his ST & himself!

This is the pool area at TWO. In my opinion it was a nice place for bikers!

Another view of the parking lot. Looks like someone is getting ready to ride!

Phil is this where you got that "leaf" rash?

Gene

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Gene,my bike is in the last picture.

iv already been in a creek.....without a paddle,i might add.

great pictures my friend.i love Dans turbo

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Bandit, I should have known you would not have abandoned a bike as good as that, had to be one stuck in the mud & missing its front wheel!

I like Dan's turbo also, tried to steal his jacket but he was too fast for an old man.

Gene
lol.

love the photos Gene,

im a million miles away,but,its great to put a face to a post

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
And more!

Glenn got his beer and he did not fall out of the swing!

Now Glenn has a different color bottle! Don's lilly white legs required an extra filter!

We were waiting on food! What else could make this bunch sit still?

Ernie's lilly whites were a close second to Don! Don't know what Rich was saying but DaveF was ready to back him up!

I think they were waiting on the fire starter. Notice Dick located himself next to the chips!

Gene

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
This is all for now. If anyone wants more, let me know.

Typical view from the porch.

Someone help me out here, I am having an elder moment. The fellow on the right (owner of the bike) is one of the original HTTA members, please identify him for me.

Here I got Jim from NJ, a good pic of Dick Smith and a profile of Glenn's nose!

Don from Oz and the original HTTA member on the porch.

A pull off on top of the mountain near TWO, I think on 180.

Gene

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
This is at Woody Gap. It is located about two miles south of T.W.O. on Hwy 60 where the Appalachian trail crosses the road.

Great photos, Gene. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Gene,

I was asked to please post the following ...

As for Gene wondering who belongs to the Guzzi, I think that is Lee, the guy that sold my turbo to Dan before Dan sold it to me. Let him know, and see if I am right.....

'later

Jim T.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, yes. Dr.Don and the very mysterious Jim T both added greatly to the comraderie. I seem to remember JT slipped in about 1:00 A.M. in his "Black OPs" Mazda pickup, with a bike in the back of course. And yes also to Lee H. That was the only time I ever met him. Lee was one of our first CX/GL guys, a pioneer in the early days of our "movement". An E and T owner/rider back in the day. His wife was a rider too. That was a helluva Rally! Thanks Gene for the trip down memory lane. It was only the second time I'd been to GA (other than thru THE airport). The first time I didn't get off Fort Gordon for 60 days. Not Signal School, the other MOS they taught there.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Gene,

I was asked to please post the following ...

As for Gene wondering who belongs to the Guzzi, I think that is Lee, the guy that sold my turbo to Dan before Dan sold it to me. Let him know, and see if I am right.....

'later

Jim T.

That is correct! All it took was your nudge to break loose my rusty one byte memory bank! Thanks, Jim T view David.

Gene

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yes, yes. Dr.Don and the very mysterious Jim T both added greatly to the comraderie. I seem to remember JT slipped in about 1:00 A.M. in his "Black OPs" Mazda pickup, with a bike in the back of course. And yes also to Lee H. That was the only time I ever met him. Lee was one of our first CX/GL guys, a pioneer in the early days of our "movement". An E and T owner/rider back in the day. His wife was a rider too. That was a helluva Rally! Thanks Gene for the trip down memory lane. It was only the second time I'd been to GA (other than thru THE airport). The first time I didn't get off Fort Gordon for 60 days. Not Signal School, the other MOS they taught there.

Rich, you know Jim is always going to slip in and then out. I think he is either a left over Black ops person or he is in the witness protection program! Don't know where Lee is or what he is doing these days, he has finally and completely disappeared from the HTTA world. Maybe he will pull a Sam Bateman and reappear some day! Don't tell me you were an MP! Back in the 50s one of my brothers was into the MP mos and trained at Gordon. BTW how is your snow? Temp here today is 71, ahhhhhh, spring is getting near!

Gene

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,447 Posts
BTW how is your snow? Temp here today is 71, ahhhhhh, spring is getting near!
Getting near? 71 is spring!!!

I can only hope it will be that warm in mid-May.

R

1 - 20 of 45 Posts