Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haev a 1981 CX500 custom with 32k miles and it runs and rides great, clutch doesn't slip or anything with normal riding or aggressive, but i do have one question..

when I'm going to accelerate fast, i usually have it say in high 2nd gear at like 6000 RPM's I'll give it full throttle shift up at like 9000 and do a quick grab of the clutch shift into 3rd and dump it really fast and give it full throttle again, and the RPM's will stay up at around 7000-8000 RPM's almost like the clutch is slipping but it would still be accelerating then the RPM's will shoot up after sitting at 7-8k rpms for a second and ill shift into 4th gear after I hit 9k RPM again.. does that mean it cant handle fast clutch dumps like that or does it mean I'm just accelerating faster than the clutch can disengage?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also i did this on a slight down hill, it could be jsut over revving front the adding rolling of it going downhill

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like you are opening the throttle before the clutch is fully engaged. Your clutch and/or cable may need attention.

however, if you practise ( it will be clunky at first) you can do clutchless changes on these motors all day long and they are silky smooth when you do so. Just place a little firm pressure under the lever and ease up on the throttle. when you do you will feel the lever start to move and it will engage the gear. As soon as you feel it move grip the throttle again

Sounds complicated but is easy with a little practise. these motors and transmissions are tough, people cosset them too much. try it for fun

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you mean giving it gas before the clutch disengages? if so its possible, and I'm probably just not noticing it lol. but yeah I have done non clutch shifting, I just shift normal but without it and it slides right into gear, it would probably save the clutch life in the end and only would be needed on downshifts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.