Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So can this be done? i ordered the wrong coil, i knew it was 2 wires on one coil. it said compatible with the gl500 so i figured it would work on mine. later inspection i see there is 2 coils each with one wire. i check where i bought it sand it says that it compatible but need altering to make it work.

Has anyone ever switched over to one of these or should i try to return this and get 2 new coils?

·
Super Moderator
24,024 Posts
That will work with a parallel twin with even firing intervals operating as a wasted spark system.

But a n 80 degree V twin doesn't have even firing intervals.

If you timed to the left cylinder the right cylinder would receive a spark around mid stroke. I can't be bothered doing the maths.

Reactions: Krausen

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That will work with a parallel twin with even firing intervals operating as a wasted spark system.

But a n 80 degree V twin doesn't have even firing intervals.

If you timed to the left cylinder the right cylinder would receive a spark around mid stroke. I can't be bothered doing the maths.
Thanks thats all i needed to know!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,970 Posts
More information is needed to say for sure. Someone (Murray?) posted a link to something that is basically 2 coils in one housing a while ago so if it is similar to that it could work but it might need a different mounting bracket (this could be what they mean by "altering".

Please post a link to what you bought.

·
Super Moderator
24,024 Posts
The difference will be obvious. While both will have two outputs only one will have 2 inputs.

If 2 inputs you have 2 coils. If one input you have a single coil with 2 outputs that is not compatible with a V twin.

How many wires? And their functions?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,970 Posts
I found the reference to the double coil recommended by Murray. It is made for use on Harleys and from information found online the middle terminal connects to + from the kill switch and the terminals on either side connect to ground through either an electronic ignition (TI, Rae-San, Dyna &c) or points.

To use this coil on a GL500 you would connect the black/white wire to the middle terminal, the blue (left) wire to the terminal on the left, the yellow (right) wire to the terminal on the right and the spark plug wires to the sockets corresponding to the blue and yellow wires
Ultima Single Fire High Performance 12V Coil; 40,000V, 3 OHM | eBay

Note that the single coils with 2 outputs have 2 input terminals as shown in the pic below of the GL1500 coils ready for installation on my GL1100 (6 years ago and working fine). One terminal of each coil connects to the black/white wire for + voltage from the kill switch and the other finds ground through the electronic ignition (normally TI but mine has a Dyna S) via the blue or yellow wire.

NOTE that this type of coil will NOT work on the GL500
Gadget Electrical wiring Cable Audio equipment Auto part

1 - 6 of 6 Posts