Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just signed up as a member....purchased a 1982 GL500 a few weeks ago. Does anyone know where I can get a rubber swing arm boot for a GL500? This is the boot at the engine swingarm connection.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
**DELE**I don't have a GL, so am not familiar, but I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Edit*** I was way off base, I thought by swing arm he meant the pro link boot, not the drive shaft boot.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've got a couple of extras for a CX but from what I understand they're totally different.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

The boot is no longer available from Honda. What is wrong with yours? If it's just a minor split or tear they can usually be repaired with a weatherstrip sealer or similar. If I recall correctly, I think Shep recommends Shoe Goo.

[Edit - It looks like Shoe Goo is widely available, even at major retailers including Walmart, Sports Authority, etc.

Also see this thread.]

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,433 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DaveF - I will work on getting picture and signature added.

The boot has a large tear at the fold and is fairly brittle. I did some searching and was able to find a new one in a Honda dealers stock. Might of been the last available new one in the US; who knows. I can see that boot is going to be a big issue with others in the future - maybe there will be aftermarket one. I will repair my old one with Shoe Goo and keep as a spare.

Joe

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,433 Posts
DaveF - I will work on getting picture and signature added.

The boot has a large tear at the fold and is fairly brittle.
I've used ArmorAll on the shock boots. It softened them nicely.

Just don't use it on tires or seats.

R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts