Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday started my 08 Pacifica( has trailer hitch) for 1st time in 2 weeks-wife's birthday & she has mobility issues I use motorcycle 90 % of time. Gremlins had attacked the car-locked in park-no air-windows-tach-speedo-wipers-horn-etc or anything relating to TIPM-no help available Sun eve.
Monday as usually used GL for errands-run fine as normal but when I left store for home heard ticking noise but not really related to engine speed. Van with trailer hitch not in use so slowly drove home (ran fine but slapping sound continued). I guessing cam chain but suprised at sudden appearance of very loose chain if that is issue).
Paul
PS: thanks to you tube was able to get van in gear to drive it service.

·
Super Moderator
23,057 Posts
Broken tensioner or guide?

Do a mirror inspection. Note the position. Make the adjustment per FSM. Do another mirror inspection.

Assuming you had adjustment left to begin with {and have been maintaining the adjustments} if the adjustment all takes up something has broken.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have not heard of mirror inspection but will look for it.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,004 Posts
Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,233 Posts
Just be careful not to let this happen ;-)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
You can also get a borescope for your phone for bout $7 to $20 Us

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info-Randell offered me a mirror to try. Riding season soon over here-I am turning 84-my bmw R100 is working well-so if this is engine out I will turn it into a parts bike-winter project for someone with the energy to make it work (I was burning a tank of gas-non- oxy every week this summer) Paul

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Hope I can ride at that age, well done!!!!

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Thanks for the info-Randell offered me a mirror to try. Riding season soon over here-I am turning 84-my bmw R100 is working well-so if this is engine out I will turn it into a parts bike-winter project for someone with the energy to make it work (I was burning a tank of gas-non- oxy every week this summer) Paul
If it needs a chain swap, Paul, I'll be happy to help. Maybe we'll throw a garage party, and knock it out in a day.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it needs a chain swap, Paul, I'll be happy to help. Maybe we'll throw a garage party, and knock it out in a day.
That is great offer-will know more after this weekend. My van (w/trailer hitch) goes to gremlin
exorcist on monday. I still plan to stop by sat morn-if you have engine with back cover off would like to photo it. If garage party is happens I would be happy to provide all food & refreshments. Paul

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Not sure if I have one open, but otherwise assembled. If not, I can look for some old photos. Would be better to see it first hand.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I may have one opened in my shop. I know the rear cover is loose, can't remember how much of the inner workings are there. I can check tonight.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the phreak shed thread is salted with such photos ...
I have seen photos but since was going to visit Randall to morrow thought would reinforce
what I was looking at by mirror thru a small opening. If you live long enough you will be as old as me & will understand what some memory issues appear.
I accept all tips & help. Thanks Paul

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Next morning after my Pacifica w/trailer hitch-locked in park due to gremlins my 82GL500 which was sounding fine all morn began what had to be cam chain rattle as I started it for ride home.
I idled along curb slowly as I was without trailer van-rattle was not constant & bike ran smooth.
Was sure something had self destructed as it gave no early warning.
When in trouble in the Twin Cities call Randle! He loaned me 2 dental mirrors plus I got to look at a motor with rear cover off . The mirrors did not have flex head so I couldnt get view of some of cam chain area that I wanted to( that may be operator error)
. Another friend brought bore scope but head to large & cable not flexible enough.
Decided had nothing to lose by freeing adjuster & see what happens -but 1st had to go to harbor freight to get feeler guage with small enough sizes.To check valves. Adjuster bolt turned fairly firmly
so gave good rap. tightened it up & started bike. Surprise-ran quiet as usual. With out my chase vehicle have only rode in neighborhood but so far sounds fine. Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts