Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you surface/turn the rotors on a CX500?

I have around 6.92mm on my rotors (if my micrometer is accurate) but they aren't very smooth. This is a pic before I rebuilt my caliper (this thread for pics). As seen, the rotors are pretty grooved, but, not a lot of metal on them to take off with resurfacing.

I'd like them to be a bit smoother, not only for looks but also for performance. Since you can't really run out and buy new ones at the local auto store, would you guys recommend resurfacing? or maybe something else?

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Spoke Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
What is the minimum size ?
What's written in the FSM ?

Here in Euroland we have:
max = 5.0mm and min = 4.0mm.
But these values are just for our double rotors/brake system.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I know, the rotors on mine should be between 6.8-7.2mm, and service thickness is 6.0mm. I have a single rotor/caliper not dual or anything like that. Just stock '79 CX500 standard.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I inquired about that very thing for my Goldwing and found out that the rotors have to be surface ground. Turning on a lathe would produce very bad results because of the stainless. The cost to resurface is around $45 each plus shipping. I'm still looking for used rotors as I think it's too much to pay.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just need a rear for the 1200. Haven't seen too many of those warped but have seen them worn down.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, $45 isn't bad... it's the $30 to ship there and probably $30 to ship back... and so far online seeing all US companies not Canadian... if a drop-off/pick-up deal it be worth it but, ya... be a pricey deal via mail.

Emailed EBC, read in a few threads they make them but never a price or part number.

Also read that these ones fit, Metal Gear part #20-883.

But hoping to do this on the cheap type deal... if they were under 6mm and/or warped fine, but hard to warrant a full replacement quite yet when still .93mm left.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,275 Posts
How deep are the grooves? It is hard to see in a straight on pic like that. Remember, some grooving is normal and, in fact, beneficial because once the pads & disc are bedded to each other the grooves increase the contact area.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the old pads essentially fell off/apart... as seen here... just rebuilt the caliper and new flat/smooth EBC pads.

Grooves... not sure how bad they are, I have no basis of comparison really. Deeper than I'd like. :D

But, in addition to performance, when I'm done the bike I'd like it to look as good as possible and the rotors right now aren't looking good. May just have to live with them a while and save up... maybe change them when I eventually have the money/time to do the spoked wheel conversion.

·
Super Moderator
17,275 Posts
If you put new discs on and drive it a while it will develop grooves. Put new pads on and drive it a while and the grooves will change. Don't worry about the grooves unless you intend for it to be a poodle bike that you never drive and if that's what you want just go over them with a random orbit sander until they are smooth and have them chromed.

And don't get me started about why Comstar wheels are so much superior to wire spoke ones. Suffice it to say that I have personally retired a number of wire spoke wheels, some because multiple spokes let go and others because the spokes got rusty. By now I'm sure I have put more mileage on Comstars and have never had a problem with one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure those comstars are sturdier than spokes, but, uglier too. :D

I personally hate the look. I have the smooth ones at least, which I think are a bit nicer, but I prefer the retro look of the spokes.

I went to school for design... so, for me the bike isn't just about running well, but, it has to look a certain way as well.

Basically, like that CX500 made by NOZEM, with spoked wheels and some fenders. More or less.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Retro, not antique... you can still buy new stuff that's retro, you can't buy new stuff that's antique.

Also, comstars were only around in the 70/80's... where the spokes have been around since the first motorcycles... definitely way more retro.

·
Super Moderator
17,275 Posts
Actually, the very first motorcycles had wooden spokes, so if you really want to be retro..... But I understand what you mean. I just can't imagine going to all that trouble just because you like the look of something that doesn't function as well and requires more maintenance.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Sidecar Bob, Keep an eye on the rivets on the comstar rims. I had a customer who had a wheelchair/sidecar rig on a CB400 and the rivets came loose on the back of the bike due to the cornering side loads imposed on it by the weight of the rig.

·
Super Moderator
17,275 Posts
Yeah. I have heard of such things happening. I have no idea how much mileage was on Eccles' back wheel when I got it but I have added a bit over 70,000 Km, mostly in winter, a lot on unpaved roads (not to mention some "paved" ones that are even more bumpy) and all hauling a sidecar and the rivets are all still holding solidly.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya, once I have a specific look in mind... I'm pretty stubborn about straying from the idea.

That being said... it's dead last on my To Do list because of the cost/work involved.

·
Super Moderator
17,275 Posts
You know what might look very good without being all that hard? Covers to make them look like disc wheels.

Years ago someone I knew had cast wheels similar to the one shown below and had pieces made that fit between the ribs on the spokes. They were made of the same sort of thin pre-painted sheet aluminum that siding is made of so they weighed very little. He installed 2 of them over each opening so that the spokes were sandwiched between them with just the ribs showing. Its kind of hard to explain but when it was done it looked like a disc wheel with ribs.
Alloy wheel Tire Spoke Rim Wheel

I don't think you could do exactly that with Comstars but maybe it will spark an original idea.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts