Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the reveal of my top secret project. I named it the blackhawk..... cuz its black. lol. but seriously i spent six months and about $7000 designing and building this bike. Here is the specs.
weighing only 370lbs and having 75 whp,this is a new breed of cx. there is alot of mods that ill go over with pictures and a mini write up for each one that hasnt already been wrote up. im very proud of this build and im still shaking from the hour i spent riding it so far. its the smoothest, most comfortable and nearly the fastest cafe ive ever ridden being beaten only by a gs1000 in the speed department. ill post more pictures tomorrow after the photo shoot.

if you dont like it dont knock it just leave the thread. thanks the reveal of my latest personal project.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a picic from the other side

Attachments

Reactions: purplecx500

·
Registered
24,169 Posts
nice bike and congrats

at 75 whp you beat one of my fully prepped 549 race motors with race heads and cam and custom 36 mm mikunis

where is the nos?

i am suprised you can get it stopped with the stock brakes

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice bike and congrats

at 75 whp you beat one of my fully prepped 549 race motors with race heads and cam and custom 36 mm mikunis

where is the nos?

i am suprised you can get it stopped with the stock brakes
ooooooo busted!!! the 75hp is an estimate. it has a cam that was designed and crafted by wedman powersports and they lightened up the bulkey crank. the nitrous botlle is actually a coolant overflow res but i figured why not make it look cool. the carbs are 82 deluxe carbs that were opened up 2mm and it has venturi style pod spacers for a faster vacuum response on the slides. the exhaust was ported and polished and the exhaust what designed to max the gas velocity without losing too much back pressure. soon ill be putting on a collector style intake with a methanol air chiller but we are still trying to find a place for the compressor. the bike is very fast and i would not be suprised to see atleast 70hp from it. as for the brakes the power of brakes is not as important as the quality of the pads. it can put you over the handlebars just fine. the postal scale weighed it at 371 lbs so you dont need massive brakes to stop. infact if your brakes are too strong your just going to lock up the wheels and hurt yourself.

thanks for the input murray.

·
Registered
24,169 Posts
knife edging the crank is good for 2 hp

lightening it just makes it spool faster but lowers overall torque and causes the rear wheel to chunk when slowing down so be careful

i run a heated 3 lbs bottle at 22 hp shot under the seat between the side covers and use mikuni vacuum pumps to pressurize the fuel nozzles

you did a good job with the plumbing mine can be seen going into the intakes

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you running a dry shot? im just adding a collector with an internal coil with air blades. it will cool the intake air significantly just like nitrous but i wont have to refill and having a sealed chiller will mean i wont have any oxidation in my intake. i was going to use ammonia but its too risky. methanol is just as good and doesnt need much compression to get the cooling. i got a smaller orfice from an a/c system out of a car and used an aluminum coil off a mustang methanol kit that i got off ebay for cheap. my compressor is electric scroll type and ive got a power inverter to bring the volts up to power it but it altogether takes up alot of room so im still trying to find the space for it and im waiting for the orfice to come in the mail.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
knife edging the crank is good for 2 hp

lightening it just makes it spool faster but lowers overall torque and causes the rear wheel to chunk when slowing down so be careful

i run a heated 3 lbs bottle at 22 hp shot under the seat between the side covers and use mikuni vacuum pumps to pressurize the fuel nozzles

you did a good job with the plumbing mine can be seen going into the intakes

dont forget. the stickers add 5hp. it is a honda after all. lol

Reactions: wax137

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice. ill let you know how the chiller works out

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks man ill be posting a full build up and lots of pics through out the week.
also i had a bad day on dotheton.com everyone was talking crap and saying that my cx is a moto guzzi with down syndrom. i couldnt believe it. they said some really crappy things but at the same time reminded me that i got a family here on this forum and i dont care what the rest of the world thinks.
so thank you in advance to all of you guys who enjoy the cx and gls as much as i do.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am very curious to see how you made 70~75 whp on a 500. esp with stock carbs (though I did see modified). I have only seen meth injection used for a few applications. 1.) boost 2.) high compression that being said you would really have to be able to play with spark and timing to get it tweaked right so I am curious as to how you tackled that. Looking forward to seeing your mods.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am very curious to see how you made 70~75 whp on a 500. esp with stock carbs (though I did see modified). I have only seen meth injection used for a few applications. 1.) boost 2.) high compression that being said you would really have to be able to play with spark and timing to get it tweaked right so I am curious as to how you tackled that. Looking forward to seeing your mods.
the methanol isn't an injection setup. although this setup hasn't been tested yet and is based off refrigeration theory im only trying to bring the intake air temp down to about 60 degrees. as for the hp im going to remind everyone that this is an estimate. the dyno will tell the full story. and to be honest with you, im not sure that I care anymore. I spent the day showing off my completed project and on some other websites I was stoned for even saying that I hope for that much power. for me this build was about the style not the power and it seems like that's all anyone cares about anymore. I am truly passionate about these bikes and would like to see improvement in the power department but if I wanted to only worry about power then I would buy an xs or gpz. so please don't burn me at the stake if the dyno doesn't show that high.

Did you like the bike?

that's what I want to know.

Reactions: purplecx500

·
Registered
460 Posts
The bike looks good. But the mechanics of a resto-mod is what gets me going thats why I ask. Not trying to bust your balls or say you don't make that kind of power just want to know how you did it.

·
Registered
24,169 Posts
Amen to that a 50 rwhp cx500 that has been lightened up will blow a lot of peoples minds and is a very capable bike

getting it looking clean and making it reliable and your own is what its about

some of us have the need for speed and endless fiddling to chase down the last hp in the world

some of us have the polish every last nut and bolt bug

some of us love to collect bugs by riding the damn things

not everything has been done to a cx i know i have stuff i still want to try

mind you i have a slag pile that is quite large left over from years of puttering

there is room for it all

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Nice build! Would love to see some more build up pics
Enjoy the ride now that its done and screw what others say, you built it for you

Cheers
Kameron

·
Registered
554 Posts
how did you lighten your bike? I would love to do that to mine. The weight is probably my only gripe about the CX. Other than that, I love the bike.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think youll be very suprised to see under the side covers. the airbox is long gone ill tell you that. i have been building choppers since i was really young and up until last year i didnt care for cafe bikes. a customer had asked for a cx brat and i got started and was bit by the bug. i have been restoring cxs and gls for a long time and i have about 10 bikes worth of parts that ive kept for myself so i went shopping in my garage for the parts. the motor only had +-2800 miles on it when i started messing with it. alot of the things you will see on this bike comes from old school chopper design with modern cafe style. the weight was mostly atributed to the frame and not having most of the stock stuff. i used a bit of fiberglass and a bit of thin stainless. i was shocked at the end dry weight. my gl resto weighed in at like 510lbs so i can imagine the original cx being like 480.

im going to be doing a photo shoot this week just for you guys and then im doing a full out professional shoot this month at an abandoned building.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if it will stop raining ill have photos today. thats my luck that everytime i finish a bike for myself it rains for a week during the dryest time of the year.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts