Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now the temperatures back up nice in the workshop,i pushed ahead on sunflower.

rear,engine and frame ..finished.

pulled the front end.

i reckon there should be 2 of these

also only one shim,behind the pads.

i didnt bother even taking a photo of the pads.one was in half

might have to address the wireing as well

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o know,i know..............

but,

you can buy a vice,best socket sets,,,all the best tools to work on a bike.

but you cant buy practical experiance.

been trying to move the pistons out of the caliber.

ill leave them soaking the weekend,see what monday brings.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The easiest and safest way to get brake pistons out is to get pressure back in the braking system and use the brake lever.
yep,tried that no go.

iv set up my homemade sonic cleanerlol.
with diesel.

ill rehook to a short line on monday.see if its eased

shep,i dont suppose you have a spare pinlock kicking around your workshop

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Hola Bandito!

Might want to try pushing them in a bit to see if that will un-sieze them. The dust seals usually are deformed and the diesel might just swell them up more. I had to dig mine out with a pick.

I have a spare pin locking plate if Shep cannot get you one. no shims were in mine either? don't seem to need them.

the plate came off a single side dual piston caliper, but I believe it's identical. 30 vs 32mm pistons if I'm not mistaken.

from the looks of yours... I agree with Shep's opinion re: needing a rebuild kit. I'd be using New Dirt seals if nothing else.

I never could get one of the pistons out of that caliper...

I could not find a link I had to a homemade wiring harness... I did find this interesting image tho.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sunflower strikes again.

How warm does it have to be for your garage to be warmed up. I'm good for 0C.
18c........we are warm blooded

Don,if it was my 82,id work in the street at 4c if i had to.this is a project at work.so,it has to be enjoyable,or so i thought

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hola Bandito!

Might want to try pushing them in a bit to see if that will un-sieze them. The dust seals usually are deformed and the diesel might just swell them up more. I had to dig mine out with a pick.

I have a spare pin locking plate if Shep cannot get you one. no shims were in mine either? don't seem to need them.

the plate came off a single side dual piston caliper, but I believe it's identical. 30 vs 32mm pistons if I'm not mistaken.

from the looks of yours... I agree with Shep's opinion re: needing a rebuild kit. I'd be using New Dirt seals if nothing else.

I never could get one of the pistons out of that caliper...

I could not find a link I had to a homemade wiring harness... I did find this interesting image tho.

Nola,your a gem,thanks for the offer.if shep,Reg,Sture or someone else on this side of the pond cant help,ill come knocking on your door.

but,it all depends on the caliper being servicable.so,thinking about it,ill hold the call.

that wireing diagram is great,such a good match.you dont have the access codes to the cameras in my workshop.....its like for like

thanks again.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after soaking the weekend.put the calipers back on to the master.

1/2 mm at a time,and 2 hours later they are out...bingo.no,not quite.

someone in the past tried to get the left hand pistons out use/barring out,with a chisel,or sharp screwdriver.6mm of body where the outer seal sits is missing.

im sure the r/h is good[metalwise]and therefore servicable.

l/h is shot.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
They were in poor state when I took them off to look at them and one of the bleed nipples was welded in if you remember or are the ones above the replacement ones?

I never even bothered to try and get the pistons out of the old ones.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They were in poor state when I took them off to look at them and one of the bleed nipples was welded in if you remember or are the ones above the replacement ones?

I never even bothered to try and get the pistons out of the old ones.
Shep,must have been the replacement,both bleed nipples are fine.

i dont have either of my bikes close at the moment,can someone with good eyes confirm if it would fit,and the hand of it.

thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CX500-E...70?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c5b8b6c26

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how do use a parts finder,if you have 2 handed items,and only one shown.or am i missing something

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a right hand caliper bracket Bandit. The caliper should be the same as yours too.

Mike
mm,thanks Mike for the clarification.i need a left hand

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.