Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out working on the bike today. Just a simple petcock change and boy was it cold. Was tricky to even hold a wrench with bare hands. After I got done I came in to dissect the old one and it was clear that it failed due to a ripped seal.

That was the only thing I had to do today. Then I was bored as hell. I hate driving my truck compared to the bike and the 13.8 mpg in the winter makes me want to hibernate. If that didn't help the $38 I spent for 12.75 gallons of gas sent it home. I actually drove around a bit to get the best gas price I could. $3.15 at the gas station I usually go to and 3.01 at the one down the road. Everyone else was higher.

Winter suck. I want to get the bike out.

I should have saved my motorcycle trailer till now. Seems like I have unlimited time. Only wish I had unlimited money.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Summer would be great. That's when I've chosen as my next deadline to reevaluate school etc and see if it is better to change jobs then. I have one in line that I think would be nice but with the extra running to and from Joliet I am doing this semester, I'm waiting for the semester to end.

playing on the bike was almost like therapy and I totally need the destressing... LOL

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If that didn't help the $38 I spent for 12.75 gallons of gas sent it home. I actually drove around a bit to get the best gas price I could. $3.15 at the gas station I usually go to and 3.01 at the one down the road. Everyone else was higher.

Winter suck. I want to get the bike out.

Boy I hear ya. Getting the wintertime blues to ride, thankfully I got a couple of old sleds to get close to the riding

feeling. $3.00 a gallon? I wish, try a buck a litre here, and we are living on top of the oil here.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I received the following email today;

"it's snowing like crazy here today.

My neighbour says that since it's been snowing,

all his wife does is look through the window.

He reckons if it gets much worse he'll have to let her in."

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My neighbour says that since it's been snowing,

all his wife does is look through the window.

He reckons if it gets much worse he'll have to let her in."

Thanks for the best laugh of the day, we almost need a joke forum topic in this place such as one I haven't frequented in a long time: http://siliconinvestor.advfn.com/subject.aspx?subjectid=7983

Stich, i can't work in the cold either as I need nimble fingers to feel the feedback from the tools to do anything properly and I've never had good circulation in my hands even when I was younger. Anything much under 60°F with a bit of wind and if feels like I'm getting frostbite. I can snow ski like crazy but when you're at 9,000' of elevation there's so little air density and humidity that undergloves, mittens and a pair of hand warmers in the pockets of your ski jacket (worn over multiple layers of clothing) is quite sufficient.

OK, I'm out to hit the world. They said it might snow here soon but I doubt it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
boy i can really feel your pain its 65 outside and im looking for my sweat shirt. (maybe even long pants) its gonna be in the low 70s this week, and it is sure hard to get out of bed in the morning and even think about working in that kind of weather. i guess ill have to leave the a/c off and maybe open the windows. although my wife will probably plug in our electric heater. ive been thinking about having a heater installed in our a/c unit but im okay using the electric guy. looking at the ten day it looks like our lows will be in the 60s, so im thinking about moving a little farther south, like maybe Jamaica so i can keep warm.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
boy i can really feel your pain its 65 outside and im looking for my sweat shirt. (maybe even long pants) its gonna be in the low 70s this week, and it is sure hard to get out of bed in the morning and even think about working in that kind of weather. i guess ill have to leave the a/c off and maybe open the windows. although my wife will probably plug in our electric heater. ive been thinking about having a heater installed in our a/c unit but im okay using the electric guy. looking at the ten day it looks like our lows will be in the 60s, so im thinking about moving a little farther south, like maybe Jamaica so i can keep warm.

If my trigger finger wasn't frost bit and frozen stiff, I would come down there and shoot you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i spent a year and a half in northern Quebec. (my mom married a french Canadian) i know what -40 feels like and am very happy to live in south Florida.

i do miss the season change and the snow. i was born and spent most of my life in Cleveland, Ohio. we moved down here when my grandmother got sick, i cant even think about living where i cant live outside every day. sorry for you guys in the cold states get some snow mobiles and ride like its summer.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually here in southern wisconsin there isn't much room for snowmobiling. I can see the grass. Sure it's frozen but I can see it. I left my snowmobile in Northern Michigan. Would probably be ice fishing if I was there. Dads been itching to take me out.

At this rate I may have to move to florida. But I'm not a fan of the gators.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If my trigger finger wasn't frost bit and frozen stiff, I would come down there and shoot you.

i spent a year and a half in northern Quebec. (my mom married a french Canadian) i know what -40 feels like and am very happy to live in south Florida.

i do miss the season change and the snow. i was born and spent most of my life in Cleveland, Ohio. we moved down here when my grandmother got sick, i cant even think about living where i cant live outside every day. sorry for you guys in the cold states get some snow mobiles and ride like its summer.

Ke9, I agree with Trickster, we are going to have to hurt you!! However, what comes around, goes around! Here in TN, starting Sunday evening we are expecting 3 to 8 inches of snow, maybe more to the south! Current time is 11 after 11pm, temp is 13 f. It will only get up into the low 20s tomorrow. That means every flake that falls will stick. With any luck at all we can blow some of this stuff your way, wonder how your cut offs and short sleeves will feel then?

Gene

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,264 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
602 Posts
I know what you mean Don. Its too cold (-5F/-20.5C this morning) to do much in my un-heated garage, but over Christmas I did pull the seats off of the project GL and by working on them in my basement I was able to replace the covers with the Saddleman's kit, they look great. In the garage the engine is dropped and fixed, but it needs to warm up some so I can use gasket sealer to get things back together. Come-on spring!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Yay for the incoming weather- makes me think it's winter or something. Saw the reports and thought about you this morning Stitch- they're calling for snow almost every day this week so far. It'll probably change during the week as it always does, but I still don't think we're escaping winter too soon.... :/

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
We had four inches of that white stuff dumped on us last night. So no riding here.

On the plus side, my employer is closed today so I have the day off. Snow day!

It's all Al Gore's fault. That native son of TN who started all this global warming. It is very cold in Lowgap this morning but spring here is at least six weeks closer than in Vermont, it's why I am here.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
JUST WHEN THE SNOW WAS MELTING

It had melted enough to be patchy on the ground, and ice has been moving in. I have a 3a-3p day today so I was letting Gunner out @ 2:30 this morning and when I first looked outside I thought I was seeing things. I talked myself into believing it was just a shape made by the melted and unmelted snow. So I opened the door to let him out, and lo and behold- a HUGE deer stood up! Nice. I had to put Gunner outside to go potty before I left and although the deer had already left, he proceeds to spend the next 5 mins outside barking before proudly coming back inside. I waited a few more mins before letting him out again, hoping he'd go this time around.

The only other "big dog" in the immediate area is a bloodhound, so it's pretty obvious who it's coming from.....

and it's snowing now

are you SURE it's not Monday?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It's all Al Gore's fault. That native son of TN who started all this global warming. It is very cold in Lowgap this morning but spring here is at least six weeks closer than in Vermont, it's why I am here.
Phil, its all your fault! Since you moved south your snow has followed you, it loves you! Probably you have had some help from all those other damn Yankees who have moved south and messed up our weather. Would you try to get a divorce from snow?

JUST WHEN THE SNOW WAS MELTING

It had melted enough to be patchy on the ground, and ice has been moving in. I have a 3a-3p day today so I was letting Gunner out @ 2:30 this morning and when I first looked outside I thought I was seeing things. I talked myself into believing it was just a shape made by the melted and unmelted snow. So I opened the door to let him out, and lo and behold- a HUGE deer stood up! Nice. I had to put Gunner outside to go potty before I left and although the deer had already left, he proceeds to spend the next 5 mins outside barking before proudly coming back inside. I waited a few more mins before letting him out again, hoping he'd go this time around.

The only other "big dog" in the immediate area is a bloodhound, so it's pretty obvious who it's coming from.....

and it's snowing now

are you SURE it's not Monday?

DMK, thanks to Phil, here in the Boro we had almost 6 inches of snow last week and they say 3 more is coming tomorrow afternoon! Thats in addition to icy rain yesterday and cold mist today! Gunner must be well trained, many dogs would go crazy around deer and try to chase them as far as they could, then realize they are a long way from home! Guess its a good thing it was you and not Troy who saw the deer, Troy is probably not as well trained as Gunner! BTW, I made the type red and really big so Phil could read it.

Gene

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
DMK, thanks to Phil, here in the Boro we had almost 6 inches of snow last week and they say 3 more is coming tomorrow afternoon! Thats in addition to icy rain yesterday and cold mist today! Gunner must be well trained, many dogs would go crazy around deer and try to chase them as far as they could, then realize they are a long way from home! Guess its a good thing it was you and not Troy who saw the deer, Troy is probably not as well trained as Gunner! BTW, I made the type red and really big so Phil could read it.

Gene

Gene,

Troy kept saying last year that we were going to get a fence. It never happened, much to my agitation. That's why I had to PUT Gunner outside. He was on his cable, at the very end of it, barking for everything his lungs were worth! I never had to tie him up until one day his prey drive was too strong and he chased three deer across a busy US Hwy 6. That ended it, I didn't want him ending up as roadkill so on the chain he will stay until we get the fence. If it had been Troy though, the deer would've been able to stay where he was, because Troy doesn't let Gunner out that early- I had to go to work so it was inevitable. Although, I'm sure you're pretty close in your assumption that Gunner is trained a little better!! I just feel a little guilty since it was plain as day that it was MY dog that was barking!

With as accurate as the weather predictions are I don't believe it until it happens. However, it's been cold, cold, snow, cold, rain, even colder so it's ice, freezing rain, cold and clear, and then more snow- so there's a little bit of snow on the ground, most of it is extremely crunchy when you walk across it- the parts that were just crunchy from ice this morning are being covered with snow as I type this, and the rest is ice.

ICK.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.