Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So usually in the fall and early spring I wear jeans my jacket gloves and helmet of course. Today I went for a ride and at 75 degrees I was so uncomfortable. I don’t want to ride with shorts and T-shirt I did it a few times around the neighborhood but don’t feel protected. What does everyone do? I remember back in the days I used to have a few pair of pants that I could remove the bottom part. I used to wear those in the summer and when I got to destination remove the bottom part and stash it in my back pack witch I usually ride with.
Any suggestions gratefully appreciate it

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I am looking at different riding pants. I'm thinking I need to buy in person, to make sure the pads hit in the right place.

Going to start riding to work. When it was cooler, I was wearing velcro'd knee and shin guards. For now, I have a pair of oversized Dickies I put suspenders on I can wear over shorts or other pants. I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and reflective vest. They are cool as long as I am moving. But hot when I stop.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking at different riding pants. I'm thinking I need to buy in person, to make sure the pads hit in the right place.

Going to start riding to work. When it was cooler, I was wearing velcro'd knee and shin guards. For now, I have a pair of oversized Dickies I put suspenders on I can wear over shorts or other pants. I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and reflective vest. They are cool as long as I am moving. But hot when I stop.
Yeah in the winter I’m good but summer not, I’m going to local motorcycle shop and definitely look into a different jacket with more air flow
Maybe they can point me to some pants also. Maybe do what you do wear shorts underneath

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can always get a mesh jacket and mesh overpants. As long as you are moving, you'll have air flow and should be comfortable.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
13,728 Posts
Bah! You guys should try wearing a snowmobile suit to keep warm when it is -25c out and then wear it while walking around inside stores where they have the heat cranked up (I don't understand why they always feel the need to heat them to a higher temp than they cool to in summer)...

Seriously, when I started biking we figured jeans and a jean jacket were enough protection on 2 wheels in warm weather for most people (they did advertise jeans with Kevlar woven in in the magazines and touring articles always showed people in riding suits, though). These days I understand that some people (especially those who live where there is too much traffic) want more protection than that.
I can't make any suggestions for that sort of gear because I don't feel it is necessary where I live and on sidecar outfits (they are involved in accidents so rarely that I have been unable to find statistics but at one time adding a sidecar in the UK halved the insurance rate). I am more concerned about being hit by debris thrown up by other vehicles (or unrestrained junk in the backs of trucks) or by large insects or small birds. In winter I dress to keep warm (snowmobile suit, insulated boots &c). When it is warm enough I wear a leather jacket and when it is too hot for that (over about 27c/80f) I change to a jean jacket with a leather vest (in extreme heat I have been known to wear the vest without the jacket but only if I can choose a route with little or no traffic).
I never get on a bike without boots and long pants and I always wear a helmet and some sort of eye protection.

·
Super Moderator
13,728 Posts
You can get jean jackets that have built in armour or are woven wit kevlar (I would probably consider something like that if I was in traffic regularly on 2 wheels). If you wear a regular jean jacket a leather vest worn over it adds a bit of protection at least for your torso, but only if it is done up so make sure you get one that will actually fit over the jacket. The vest also gives you somewhere to display patches &c...

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can get jean jackets that have built in armour or are woven wit kevlar (I would probably consider something like that if I was in traffic regularly on 2 wheels). If you wear a regular jean jacket a leather vest worn over it adds a bit of protection at least for your torso, but only if it is done up so make sure you get one that will actually fit over the jacket. The vest also gives you somewhere to display patches &c...
That’s a great idea Bob!!!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I watch Youtube vids mostly to see what not to do. One of the most interesting things you see, is that while sports bike riders seem to take a lot of risks, their riding gear (beyond jeans and a leather jacket), seems to really save their asses. They can skitter along the street at speed and still get up. Always, the biggest hazard are the abrupt stops, hitting a car or stationary objects. I'm hoping to get over to Dennis Kirk and try to find some mesh pants. I have a mesh Joe Rocket armored Jacket I got for $20 bucks at St. Vincent's thrift shop. The mesh was in perfect condition, but the pads crumbling, so I replaced those. I'd like to get similar over pants. My leather jacket is big enough to wear over the armored mesh jacket when it is cold.
I got a Joe Rocket military mesh reflective vest that is adjustable and fits over everything, even a rain coat over the other jackets. Cost me $18.00

Riding in the city you want to be seen.

Joe Rocket Vest

·
Registered
189 Posts
You mean a mesh muscle shirt, board shorts, flip flops and a helmet are not enough?????

Seriously, I wear mesh jacket, gloves, pants, boots all with full armor. Then topped off with a full cover helmet.

Yeah, its a bit warm when stopped and temp is above 80 F, but I've got something to skid on before skin. I can handle the heat when stopped. Typically, the time stopped is waiting on traffic lights or stop sign traffic. So, the stop time is typically less than 5 minutes. Although, it can seem like forever.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I went for a ride. Instead of the overpants over shorts, I wore the courdura velco knee and shin protectors with shorts. They worked pretty good. Going to look for some ventilated ones. Motocross?
Also, I road Littlewing, the GL500. Now that I am getting used to the GL650, I am realizing that I have two pretty good GLs. Littlewing is running smoother than last year.

I just need to replace the gaskets and rubber on Littlewing. Just about to hit 7,900 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
No shirt, cut offs and dollar store flip flops. Right?
My first ride on the back of a bike was from my father-in-law's farm to on his Yamaha 350 to pick up my 250. Both road bikes.
He lived on a gravel road and I think I was his first passenger on his bike. We got about a 1/4mile away from his house, when he lost it. I remember the handle bars flipping left to right and then them locking to the left and me flying over his shoulders, hitting my knee on one of his shoulders. I landed on the gravel and slid on the face of my full helmet visor. It was so scratched, I couldn't see clearly out of it. We were both dazed. The first clear thought I had, was when someone stopped in a pickup truck to asks, "Are you okay?" My neck was sore and so was my F-I--L's shoulder and he hurt his ribs hitting the end of the handlebars after he went over. We ended up riding in his Skylark to pick my bike up.

I've always worn a full helmet since. Don't want to join the "Squid Club"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts