Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost got stuck at http://www.lochsalodge.com/ in Idaho this last week. Haven't fixed the leak yet, but it was abrupt, and is leaking 1.5 quarts per 75 miles. Leak is Front Top of engine, around the fan somewhere. Anyway, I babied the bike home 75 miles or so with a couple of quarts of oil. Saturday 6-25, I plan to remove the gas tank to get a better top engine view since that's easier than removing the radiator. I'll bet you its another screw that vibrated loose. But we will see.

Got home with right shoe and right pants leg wet and dripping Motul 10-30 oil. And some Chevron Delo 30w I bought at the Lodge store. Wish me luck in the repair, CX'ers.

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention that this springtime, when I swung into my motorcycle mechanics place, the building was empty with a For Rent sign in the window. Lake Missoula Motorsports went under. Proprietor Charles Deutch is nowhere to be found. And the other Motorcycle repair shops in town are all small and not Honda. Anyway, this is a local problem, and I guess I need to consider finding a good mechanic 175 miles westward in Spokane.

Montana "don't want to do all of the repairs myself" Clifford

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Cliff, when my front engine gasket let loose, it was pretty sudden too. That gasket is not such a difficult thing to do in retrospect, but of course I had Floater Dave here to help me. Rad off, tank off, fan off. Just be careful with the oil passage sleeves/bushings, they like to run away and hide. Also might be a good time to service your clutch cover and actuator gaskets whilst in there. Don't forget that mushroom button for the clutch actuator....it needs to be oriented properly to work.

You making any plans to be out this way again soon?

Joel in the Couve.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
If nothing else, I bet some JB Weld would get you by.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to steal the plate off the other bike. But I should start paying attention to dead CX/GL motors. Especially the 81+ era, so that I can convert to electric cooling fan.

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
My electric cooling fan is very nice. My Harley buddies dig it. No more replacing the fan every other year at $60 a pop.

I wanna know why the case cracked. Sounds unusual. Did it get tightened down to much? Anyone ever hear of a front or rear case cracking before, mid ride?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.