Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed oil on my right boot after my commute this last week. Checked the right side of the engine box and wiped the area clean with a shop towel. Started her up. Let her idle, no seeping. Then twisted the throttle and left it at 3000rpm while looking at the case. Oil started oozing out of the circled area in the pics.

Failing gasket? What part in particular will I need to replace and is this doable without a comprehensive toolset? Any other concerns/possibilities?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Does it look like its just leaking or being "pushed" a bit. Could the crankcase breather vent be blocked allowing blow by gasses to build pressure ?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

Failing gasket?

Probably. Over the past few years there have been several posts on the forum where the original gasket has failed in this location.

It's not difficult to replace this gasket and the job does not require any exotic tools.

I do think it best to use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts to spec without breaking them, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check bolt torque first, it just might need tightening up.
Tightened everything forward of that seal. Nothing seemed loose. Issue remains unfortunately. Thanks for replying!.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The second pic shows oil residue behind the rad which can be traveling down to that area.........may be the seal on the camshaft behind the fan. Remove rad and inspect behind to see where its coming from

·
Registered
891 Posts
As others have said you should check the torque on the bolts and make sure they are not loose. After that its either coming from behind your fan as Kameron has said or for some reason your leaking out your case.. both would need the motor pulled to fix. Neither are overly hard to do and can easily be done in an afternoon with a simple gasket and and possibly an oil seal if behind fan. (Assuming of course there is some sort of damage)

·
Registered
604 Posts
The gasket failed in that same area on my GL500 a couple years ago on an Alaska trip. When I removed the front cover I saw the gasket had been pulled inward. Made a new gasket and all is well.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mine began this afternoon leaking from that exact spot. I have an aftermarket gasket on from my tripple bypass on. Lasted 8k miles.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
if the bolts are tight, then it is most likely failed gasket. No need to pull the engine. Although, you will pull the radiator and most of the bits on the front. It is not a hard task. Dig down to the cover, be careful removing it. There are several critical pieces in there like an oil orifice, alignment dowels......

You'll need two gaskets, one for clutch cover and one for the engine cover. Maybe a few O-rings, sorry don't recall the size.
FWIW, I made my gaskets from sheet stock. Use a little bit of "gasket in a tube" to help with the install.

This gasket has a tendency to fail in that corner. There is a long gap between cover bolts, so the gasket clamp load becomes a little low.

While you are there, it is reasonable to replace the cam shaft seal. Only one more part to pull, the fan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts