Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off; Happy Canada Day/Independence Day weekend to all!

Anyway, the Barn Find has been on the back burner.

Since I picked her up I've only had time to maintain and ride my two running Yamaha bikes; I've been renovating bathrooms (3), my wife's father passed away unexpectedly early in May so my most recent project has been prepping a nice used riding lawn mower for my mother-in-law for her to use around her house (she can use the big tractor but can't switch the rotary mower for the finish mower) and I work in agriculture so I've been very busy at work! I know, I know, I'm full of excuses

I got off work a little early today (it's my anniversary, I used that as an excuse though I knew my wife would be working for a while more). I had a couple of beers while mowing, finished my wife's mom's mower by sharpening the blades and running it around a bit and then I got ambitious and started eyeing the CX. I installed the serviced starter and cleaned carbs from the parts bike (I had done the starter service and carb clean some time earlier, March I think), found the spark plugs and installed them, put in the battery (that's running double duty in my mower right now) and rigged up a fuel feed and sprayed a tiny bit of ether in the air box.

Only a couple of cranks and the CX came alive!!!!! Man, what a great feeling. No noise from the engine, I torqued the cylinder heads, adjusted the cam chain and valves and changed the oil/filter when I got it. It smokes a little bit, but evenly from both pipes, I hope the more I run it the rings free up and seal better.

I still have a ton of work to do on this bike, like replacing just about anything/everything outside of the engine that moves, but I know it runs and is generally sound! Don't mean to bore you guys, but I'm excited and had to share!

·
Registered
948 Posts
That's great! Maybe you are on a roll and can get her together for some fall riding?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
First off; Happy Canada Day/Independence Day weekend to all!

Anyway, the Barn Find has been on the back burner.

Since I picked her up I've only had time to maintain and ride my two running Yamaha bikes; I've been renovating bathrooms (3), my wife's father passed away unexpectedly early in May so my most recent project has been prepping a nice used riding lawn mower for my mother-in-law for her to use around her house (she can use the big tractor but can't switch the rotary mower for the finish mower) and I work in agriculture so I've been very busy at work! I know, I know, I'm full of excuses

I got off work a little early today (it's my anniversary, I used that as an excuse though I knew my wife would be working for a while more). I had a couple of beers while mowing, finished my wife's mom's mower by sharpening the blades and running it around a bit and then I got ambitious and started eyeing the CX. I installed the serviced starter and cleaned carbs from the parts bike (I had done the starter service and carb clean some time earlier, March I think), found the spark plugs and installed them, put in the battery (that's running double duty in my mower right now) and rigged up a fuel feed and sprayed a tiny bit of ether in the air box.

Only a couple of cranks and the CX came alive!!!!! Man, what a great feeling. No noise from the engine, I torqued the cylinder heads, adjusted the cam chain and valves and changed the oil/filter when I got it. It smokes a little bit, but evenly from both pipes, I hope the more I run it the rings free up and seal better.

I still have a ton of work to do on this bike, like replacing just about anything/everything outside of the engine that moves, but I know it runs and is generally sound! Don't mean to bore you guys, but I'm excited and had to share!

Congrats on getting it going! I did the same thing with my CX. I just desided that I was going to get it going again! It doesn't happen unless I make the time. I had mine out for a ride today for the first time in 10+ years. It did feel good! I do need to get a new battery. Oh....I don't think you could bore this croud!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, it does feel good and gives incentive to keep plugging away to get her back up to snuff.

I've never heard any Twisted Twin run in person before, these engines sound great! I can't wait for the first time I can open her up on a country road!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.