Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost (finally) have everything I need to get this bike back on the road.

I want to put the pre-load spacer in the front forks. I figure while I am there I will change the fluid.

I will put 20 W in. How do you drain it?

Do you have to pull the fork to drain it or is there some obvious method I am missing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I almost (finally) have everything I need to get this bike back on the road.

I want to put the pre-load spacer in the front forks. I figure while I am there I will change the fluid.

I will put 20 W in. How do you drain it?

Do you have to pull the fork to drain it or is there some obvious method I am missing?

Thanks!
i dont think your 78 comes with drain holes.so,if you are going to introduce a spacer on top of the springs,id slide the forks out,then drain upside down

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
You can also pull the wheel off and take the allan bolts out from the bottom that holds the forks together. Slide the lower down a bit and they will drain.

However, if the forks have not been done in a long time they should be separated so you can wash all the grunge out that settles in the bottom.

Changing the seals is always a good idea but may not be necessary if their in good shape. If you see any dry cracks in the seals or dust covers I would change the seals at the same time. Go with the Honda seals too. They work and last better.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the forks will be coming of soon!

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will finish the engine first then pull the forks.

One project at a time.

I get confused too easily to have more than a couple open at once!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts