Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the second brake light switch I've had fail (the one for the front brake). The first one mechanically failed...spring keeper broke and the plunger would not return to the extended (off) position. Now this one, looks like something shorted internally and MELTED THE PLUNGER???

With the switch out of the brake lamp loop everything works fine, so at least I can flash and activate my brake lamp with the rear brake pedal, but does anybody have a sure-fire replacement for the lame switches that come with these eBay ROC front brake lever/MC assemblies??

Auto part Carburetor

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Cory. Something isn't right in that circuit. You are getting a high current draw from something. There is no logical way that a stop light bulb will pull enough current to fry the switch.

Either that or the switch quality is really really poor.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust me...switch quality is poor. I have a hunch the plunger jammed in such a way as to cause a high resistance conduit that kept the brake lamp lit and the point of resistance generated heat. It's REALLLY chintzy plastic...really flexible/soft.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Oh, forgot to say. That switch is not particular to a motorcycle. It is a microswitch. Take it down to the local auto part store of your choice. Play the Match Game. Its a single pole, single throw, momentary switch.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Looks like a manufacturing defect from the way how that is melted. I base that on a poor mechanical connection which in turn caused a high resistance, which in turn caused heat build up, which in turn caused the switch housing to melt and be destroyed. But that opinion with a cup of coffee the coffee's worth more than my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the second brake light switch I've had fail (the one for the front brake)...
hi
Your image helped me a lot.
I put it in my video with Credit for you!

The switch is very cheap, but I enjoyed very much to fix it.
I ride on Honda Innova model 2010 (Cub) 4 years old with 20 thousand Km.
This original switch, and now when it repaired I expect from him go-on many years :)
Thanks
Tamir

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.