Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the beginning of the summer my 81 cx500s water pump seal went out followed by the stator. Obviously a triple bypass was in order. Prior to this I had no engine experience. I own one manual and have read through the whole triple bypass article on the cx500 wiki. Engine is out and the rear case is removed, but I am stuck. The manual and the guide differ in their information and the guide says DO NOT PROGRESS ANY FURTHER WITHOUT SCRIBING THE ADVANCE UNIT. Unfortunately I do not know what the advance unit is, where to scribe it, and which parts need to be lined back up perfectly on reassembly. Pictures follow to show where I am. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Auto part Engine Metalworking Gear Automotive engine part

·
Super Moderator
22,915 Posts
Ignore that mate, it's for TI motors advance unit.

Your CDI bikes equivalent part only fits back one way. Just refit it to its key cutout.

Rip it off. :D

Oh, the advance unit trigger is the piece in the centre of the rotor retained by the dome headed 10 mm bolt head.

On closer inspection, yours seems to be a normal bolt.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
At the beginning of the summer my 81 cx500s water pump seal went out followed by the stator. Obviously a triple bypass was in order. Prior to this I had no engine experience. I own one manual and have read through the whole triple bypass article on the cx500 wiki. Engine is out and the rear case is removed, but I am stuck. The manual and the guide differ in their information and the guide says DO NOT PROGRESS ANY FURTHER WITHOUT SCRIBING THE ADVANCE UNIT. Unfortunately I do not know what the advance unit is, where to scribe it, and which parts need to be lined back up perfectly on reassembly. Pictures follow to show where I am. Any help will be greatly appreciated! View attachment 4060
Ignore that mate, it's for TI motors advance unit.

Your CDI bikes equivalent part only fits back one way. Just refit it to its key cutout.

Rip it off. :D

Oh, the advance unit trigger is the piece in the centre of the rotor retained by the dome headed 10 mm bolt head.

On closer inspection, yours seems to be a normal bolt.
Corrected in the Wiki.

Now, you will have to remove the advance unit, BUT, before you do (TI ignition system only require marking as the CDI systems have a key) MARK its location by scribing a mark on the base plate and the rear case.
OP, thank you for your questions so we can fix the wiki.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are bloody brilliant! Thank you so much for your quick replies! Absolutely should have not waited so long to post. I will keep posting my progress :D

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
You guys are bloody brilliant! Thank you so much for your quick replies! Absolutely should have not waited so long to post. I will keep posting my progress :D
Hay, no problem!

Oh, we like pics!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts