Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to replace my piston rings. Both heads are stuck on and I can’t seem to get them off. I don’t think I have any bolts left to take out. I have already removed the 4 head studs and two head bolts. What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Does the engine turn over, in other words, the pistons are not rusted and stuck to the cylinder walls ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was some rust between the head gasket, head, and block. It was solved with a flat head and a rubber mallet thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,899 Posts
If you have a compressor and can weld you could do what I do to remove stuck on heads.

I set the motor to TDC on the compression stroke and fit a tool made from an old spark plug, a piece of steel tube and a fitting to fit the compressor hose.

I put the bolts back in about 8 - 10 turns undone and then use the tool to blow the head off. The bolts refitted prevent it hitting you or the floor.

The tool is actually my leakdown tester.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Remove spark plug, roll engine so that 1 piston is at BDC, bottom of stroke. Feed a large amount of rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, rotate motor and the piston and rope shoule push the head off, if the motor is not stuck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts