Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
if they're the magnets I'm thinking of they can take a finger tip off, my dad's work used them until someone lost a finger tip, so they sit on my fridge now lol

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
if they're the magnets I'm thinking of they can take a finger tip off, my dad's work used them until someone lost a finger tip, so they sit on my fridge now lol

I worked @ JC Whitney for a while, and they have the magnets- but they are so small and lightweight that I was surprised people would go through the trouble to buy them (or steal them, as it was) and put them on their bikes.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I remember from that motorcycle safety course I took last year, that they taught us to position your bike smack on top of those sensors.....Know what?........It really does work...even for these bikes.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I remember from that motorcycle safety course I took last year, that they taught us to position your bike smack on top of those sensors.....Know what?........It really does work...even for these bikes.

Bear,

Remember when we got stuck at that gas station outside of your place that had a cop watching the intersection.

It does work but it doesn't work everywhere. I think with all this road construction we might get some new technology that can better read us. At some lights I do stop and put my kickstand down. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't.

The one good thing about wisconsin is if you wait an acceptable time and it is clear you can run the light and be fine.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
OH YA!...I remember, cuz I was nervous as a "lady of ill-repute" in church cuz I didn't have that "M" on my driver liscence, and was worried about that copper coming after us, or worried he might just idle up to us and ask what the problem was........rofl..I can laugh about it now......but, I wasn't seeing a lot of humor in our situation at the time.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
TN finally passed the law allowing cycles to run red lights "utilizing a vehicle detection device (after they)come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care..." Wish they had this earlier. Don't know how many years of my life I've spent waiting on lights that will not change. Always just made a right and then a U-turn. Or just ran the light.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
That is good. I find myself doing the righty and u myself. Sometimes it works to deploy the side stand over the sensor, when you can see where it is. I knew they make magnets to trigger the sensor, ...might have to try them

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is good. I find myself doing the righty and u myself. Sometimes it works to deploy the side stand over the sensor, when you can see where it is. I knew they make magnets to trigger the sensor, ...might have to try them

They are cheap enough and it will do no harm.Always good to have some small magnets about anyway for picking up dropped small bolts etc

·
Registered
523 Posts

If you want strong, free magnets just take apart an old hard disk from a surplussed PC.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Magnets do no good, a loop of wire with the ends soldered together will.

Most states have the time/proceed statute though. We had a thread on this a while back.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Magnets do no good, a loop of wire with the ends soldered together will.

Most states have the time/proceed statute though. We had a thread on this a while back.

I have a light at the end of the street, would not trip with my bike. Added the magnets and voila, the light trips.

Took the magnets back off, doesn't trip the light anymore.

One thing of note, there is a number in OH you can call if the light doesn't trip with your bike, also an email address. I'm pretty sure its in the old thread marshall is referring to, and many state have them. I'll try to dig up my MSF book that I jotted it down in.

Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ive always just rolled forward into the crosswalk area or just off to the side and waved for the car/truck behind me to pull forward. Works every time for me but I might try this magnet thing just in case there isn't always traffic.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have a light at the end of the street, would not trip with my bike. Added the magnets and voila, the light trips.

Took the magnets back off, doesn't trip the light anymore.

One thing of note, there is a number in OH you can call if the light doesn't trip with your bike, also an email address. I'm pretty sure its in the old thread marshall is referring to, and many state have them. I'll try to dig up my MSF book that I jotted it down in.

Mike

Only because of the extra metal. Remember I'm an EE, EET, Physics as well as holding an ISCET & ASE.

Magnets do nothing to change the loop in the road, it's only looking for a frequency change due to more iron/steel above it.

Ask your local street light controller what frequency they're set at and you can perfect a loop, in the meantime try my method of a few turns of #18 (or better) AWG common wire soldered together at the end points.

Mount it under your H-box (best place) or somewhere in that area.

Hate to pass this on but the trick works with those remote control gates as well.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Magnets will work as well and are easy to stick on

The coils in the road near the lights are an inductance circuit.The Magnets change the inductance much as your wire coil would as they fool the circuit into believing there's larger electro magnetic mass there.The sensors in the Traffic light circuit will detect this and change

·
Registered
26 Posts
Last year I and several friends bought Green Light Tripper. It didn't work here. I had purchased two, one for the CX & one for the Vulcan. When one didn't work I tried two on one bike, still didn't work. We sent them all back.

I'll try the loop and then the magnets later this year. I suspect there are different technologies & sensitivities, but I'll try anything halfway reasonable since I go through a lot of these lights around Ithaca.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.