Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Triple Bypass Procedure....Slowly but surely I'm getting to the Stator...but I'm pulling everything off to have a good look.

Of question is the connection for the tachometer. The bolt at the bottom has been soaking in penetrating oil for 5 days. Finally it's out. There was heavy corrosion on the bolt halfway up the threads - right to the non-threaded portion. The very end tip of the bolt where the thread begins was stunningly clean. You can see from the pic below there is corrosion inside the bottom bolt hole. All other's are pretty clean - super clean in fact. Why would this one bolt have corrosion? Any thoughts?

Also, I'm unable to get the tachometer connection off. It wiggles about an 1/8" clockwise and counter clockwise, but I can't remove it. Any thoughts?

Please ignore the amount of oil you see on the engine. It's simply the overspray from the penetrating oil.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I believe that screw near the cable end holds the cable in (have my working spare sitting next to me). It may have been that that screw was loose (or was at some time) and allowed a bit of water under the head. Note sure if there is a "coolant passage" near it, but possibly (mine has a spherical dome located btween that screw and the one top the left up a bit. The gasket i have with mine (old) goes to both these bolts, but has nothing under the round bit just to the left ogf your finger. This would leave a gap and allow water up in there and possibly into the untreaded part of the screw.

Just my guess, but the tack cover I have (used off Ebay, still not on my bike yet) seems to indicate this may be the cause

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
LOL dont feel bad, neither did I when I tried to change the cable. It is a lot easier to see when the whole plate is on a desk infornt of you lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.