Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Add an electric heat gun to the list, did I miss it above? It works very good on the tiny little cover bolts, so you don’t end up with needless/extra work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, I managed to get the front cover off and check the oil pump.

The pickup filter had a load of junk sitting there, a few silver specs, some magnetic, lots of black bits of gasket material (I assume).
Thankfully, no copper bits.

I've taken the pump apart and the internal gap is within spec , I can get 0.08mm through but 0.10mm is too large.
What are peoples thoughts on the pics attached? The bike has about 40k miles. I cannot really feel any of those marks.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all, I know I have created many threads and questions over the past few weeks, it's a steep learning curve for me and I really appreciate the expertise and knowledge on this forum :)

I've decided that before I continue with my CX500 I would like to strip the engine down and examine the cam chain / tensioner / stator before continuing with anything else.

Apart from the flywheel M20 bolt, fan bolt and the clutch nut tool, is there anything else that I will need?

Also, I assume as I am there it would make sense to check the big end bearings? I'm making the assumption that it's ok to take them off, examine and put back on again? Any tips?

Thanks!
Regarding your cam chain, my motor started making rasping slapping noise when I closed the throttle: the cam chain was hitting the casing due to a broken guide. Are you getting a noise like that ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No slapping noises thankfully.

Just as an update, I stripped the engine down partially, but did not remove the transmission or big end bearings etc.
The oil pickup had a few metal specs and general bits of gunk as expected, otherwise the casing was generally very clean, minimal debris floating around (I checked the transmission side with an endoscope).
The cam chain looks like it must have been replaced recently as the tensioner is showing very little 'usage' maybe a few mm (I re-adjusted a couple of times and tested the mechanism).
It has the newer style tensioner blades which appeared to be in good condition, so I have left those for the time being.

It has previously had a cam chain issue as I can see the usual case/bolt damage where the chain eats away at the material, not sure when this would have happened, could have been 30+ years ago. Not sure how quickly these chains become slack?

Either way, I could not find anything out of place, hopefully it is just clutch material.
Once I get it to run properly (idle issue when warm) I can put some miles on and check the oil over again.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts