Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I'm glad the camshaft is harder steel than the acorn nut that holds the impeller against the housing. After doing the mechanical seal two years ago, I stripped the acorn nut when putting it back on the impeller. I know I stripped it, because I never reached the correct torque setting. At the time, I blamed my cheap torque wrench and didn't ride my bike all last summer. I'm finally getting around to fixing it. The impeller held,by the way, but I developed a weep hole leak after a few hundred miles.

But here's my real question, should the acorn nut be so easily stripped? Is it possible that the spring from my Yamaha mech seal is pushing back against the impeller with a greater force than the original Honda mech seal was specified for?

So now I'm ordering a new mech seal and new oil seal just for good measure. Anything else I should look out for?

I hate doing stuff twice

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I realize that was a pretty harebrained theory when I posted. Still, this seems to be a common problem. I'd love to know the cause.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Some reasons for a leaking mechanical seal

The acorn nut is loose
the thread on the cam is bad,
the thread in the acorn nut is bad,
the small steel ring is forgotten,
the mechanical seal is damaged,
the copper washer is forgotten .....

.......more reasons = ??

I smear Hylomar -or another sealing stuff- on the splines and under the copper washer.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Yeah, us engineers have a tendency to make designs like that.

We figure its better to strip the acorn nut thread than the threads on the cam shaft. We know its a PITA to hunt for another nut and replace it.

Would you rather hunt for a camshaft and replace it??

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Yeah, us engineers have a tendency to make designs like that.

We figure its better to strip the acorn nut thread than the threads on the cam shaft. We know its a PITA to hunt for another nut and replace it.

Would you rather hunt for a camshaft and replace it??
Ah, but if you were the engineer who designed the cam shaft, and had royalty checks coming in for every one purchased?.......on second thought, be the engineer for the nut. More checks. :)

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
ROFLMAO.......engineers....gettin' ......................royalty checks....... I can't breathe.................

killin' me

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Murray. Yeah...I have 3 or 4 patents. The greatest compensation I received was a plaque for the 1st patent. After that, just a note in the mailbox that the patent had been approved. Not even a handshake.

Really kills the motivation to truly invent something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts