Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I decided to replace my snapped choke cable and then I thought "why the hell not" and took he carbs out for inspection. The carbs definitely need to be rebuilt. I took one of the float bowls off and the gasket was completely obliterated.

I started to take the other one off but realized that one of the screws was completely stripped. What's the best way for me to get that sucker out?

Once I remedy that problem, it'll be time to buy a rebuild kit. Other than Randaak's, what are some other cheaper solutions? I still may go with Randaak's kit but if there's something cheaper that works 80% well, I'd take it into consideration. I have a 1979 CX500. Which of Randaak's kits would I need? He lists A, B, and C.

Thanks in advance. I hope this makes sense since I'm super light headed from the smell of gas hahaha.

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
You should be able to get a grip on that one with a pair of vice grips. Once it's been tweaked it should come out with a screwdriver.

Suggest allen head cap screws for replacements to avoid this happening again in the future.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You could, if you have a dremmel tool, cut a slot in the head and try it with a regular screwdriver. A good long soaking with some penetrating oil won't hurt anything either. Using a good set of vice-grips should do it as well.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Vice grips FTW. the aluminum wont hold that screw tight enough to snap that screw.

as for rebuild kits.....just go with a Randakks. 40bucks/side for everything you need cannot be beat. I am a cheap ass and always look for the cheapest. After the randakks kit, all my operating issues disappeared, and thats why i promote them so well.

You get what you pay for.

and the randakks kit comes with new screws. Half the problem with these screws is people use the wring screwdrivers to turn the screws. and pushing down is a must when tightening or loosening.

The pic of the screw you have WILL still come out with the right sized screwdriver tip and pushing down hard. Mine were WAY worse than that, and all i needed was a screwdriver, except for one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As above.

FWIW, when you get to full disassembly of those carbs, an impact driver will be your best friend to prevent creating more screws like that that might be harder to replace or don't come with the rebuild kit.

I also recommend Randakks kit. Don't try to save a few $ on carb rebuilds - just do it right and be done with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the same exact problem. I have 2 screws that are stripped out. I managed to get one out last night with an impact driver. Tonight I am going to use an extractor to get the last one out. I am still sourcing replacements though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Get the carbs hot and that screw will come right out.

I've dunked carbs in boiling water and used a tea-pot to direct water to a specific area, both with good results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to go to the dremel round and notch the screw head to get a flat head in there.

Now on to carb kits. I'm probably gonna go with Randakk's. Which kit will I need with a 1979 CX500D? How do I tell if I have an accelerator pump? Randakk's site lists the 1979 Deluxe coming with both so I will have to check. I will also need different jets because I have a 2-1 header. What size jets do you recommend and whats a good source?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
If you have an accelerator pump your left bowl cover will look a lot different than your right.

The left side in the picture has the ac pump.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.