Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first Honda CX500c a couple weeks ago. It has about 32,000 miles but in great condition. The previous owner told me I would need to check the valve tappet clearance soon. So when I finished adjusting the valve clearance, I decided to adjust the cam chain. The original owners manual says that I need to make sure it is on TDC Left or showing the TL mark in the timing mark hole. Then the manual tells me to loosen the lock bolt about the timing mark hole which will automatically adjust the cam chain. When I screwed the lock bolt tight, I believe I tightened it too much and stripped the threads because it was getting snug but then became very loose and now just spins. Any recommendations on what to try next? I want to avoid pulling the engine if I can. I have some mechanical experience but not a pro by any means. Would I be able to replace the lock bolt and not have to drop the engine?

·
Super Moderator
4,060 Posts
If the thread in the engine is stripped you will have to take the engine out and remove the rear cover. The stripped thread can be repaired with a helicoil insert. Be sure to renew the o-ring on the cam chain adjuster bolt while you have the engine apart. Also a good time to renew the mechanical seal for the water pump and to inspect cam chain tensioner blades, stator and starter clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, Thank You
What if the bolt is stripped but the female part is not? Essentially, I should do a what they call a triple bypass if I need to remove the engine anyway? Do you know of any resources I could look at to complete this? I am wondering if I will be able to do this as I only have some mechanical experience. Should I seek professional help? I know I have a lot of questions, so any and all information is greatly appreciated.
-Jake

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Murray,
Is it a special bolt or could I find it at a local shop? Also will I be able to replace the bolt without the chain becoming loose or off-track? I know very little about this, thank you
-Jake

·
Super Moderator
3,260 Posts
Mike, Thank You
What if the bolt is stripped but the female part is not? Essentially, I should do a what they call a triple bypass if I need to remove the engine anyway? Do you know of any resources I could look at to complete this? I am wondering if I will be able to do this as I only have some mechanical experience. Should I seek professional help? I know I have a lot of questions, so any and all information is greatly appreciated.
-Jake
Here is some info on the triple bypass:

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/triple-or-quadruple-bypass-cx500-cx650-gl500-gl650/

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
These bolts were not available new when I last checked, so you'll have to source a used one. I'm sure someone on this board will likely have a spare.

Semi-good news is that you likely did not strip the block, but snapped the bolt. There was a local rider who overtightened it the way you did, and when we opened her up, the bolt had snapped, and there was enough shaft left to grab it with some vice grips to get it out.

The bolt design holds it behind the case, the bolt only comes out with the rear case separated, you'll only know for sure then you pull the rear case.

I don't think the manual mentions it, the tensioner will sometimes stick a bit, so whenever you adjust the chain tensioner, give the area a few good raps with a rubber mallet when the bolt is loose.

Reactions: nolimitz

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
If the thread in the engine is stripped you will have to take the engine out and remove the rear cover. The stripped thread can be repaired with a helicoil insert. .
To set an Helicoil insert is a little tricky. Because it must set 5-6mm deeper as the surface of the wall of the crank housing.

The red in the picture is the Helicoin insert.
The vertical green line shows the surface of the housing.

Kettenspannerbolzen_Sitz.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the tips. I will be pulling the engine in the next few days. Does anyone know where I can find a spare cam chain tensioner bolt?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey, Jake.

I live in Wichita if you need any help. I just bought my CX last July and got it up and running in November. I'm not the most knowledgeable, but I've been inside my own engine and can lend a hand if you need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts