Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
1983 Honda GL650I Silver Wing Interstates (1 Red, 1 Gray)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing the oil on my new-to-me GL650I, I noticed the unusual crush washer that these bikes use.

Auto part Metal Wood Nickel Household hardware

Automotive tire Wood Jewellery Body jewelry Auto part

That's the strangest looking crush washer I've ever seen on a Honda. Looks like the top surface actually crushes!

Honda parts microfiche shows that it is available separately and comes off of the drain plug. Looks like you have to actually unscrew it to get it off, or would you attempt to reuse it as is?

Any reason NOT to replace this crush washer with a more "normal" looking flat crush washer from another bike that fits the drain plug. I have a few spares laying around in the parts drawer.

Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
Hi
That is a over used crush washer
Highly recommended to replace that one ASAP
Seen that many time's on all sort of drain plugs

TLD 馃嚚馃嚘 馃嚛馃嚢

Reactions: WingMan71

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
That is a over used crush washer
Highly recommended to replace that one ASAP
Seen that many time's on all sort of drain plugs

TLD 馃嚚馃嚘 馃嚛馃嚢
I looked up the part number for the crush washer for this bike, it's 94109-12000.

If you do a search on that part number, you get the standard looking flat OEM Honda crush washers. So, obviously this strange shaped original that overlaps the edges of the drain plug bolt head is no longer used.

I'll replace it.

Registered
Nothing unusual about that, except some gorilla REALLY wanted to make sure it was tight. ;-)
I picked up a nice copper crush washer assortment on FleaBay, crush washers should be treated as one use item. (copper can be re-annealed and reused if you don't have another one)
Most engine applications that use these for oil filters will supply the plug and housing washers with the filter.

Registered
I looked up the part number for the crush washer for this bike, it's 94109-12000.

If you do a search on that part number, you get the standard looking flat OEM Honda crush washers. So, obviously this strange shaped original that overlaps the edges of the drain plug bolt head is no longer used.

I'll replace it.
There never was a "strange shaped original that overlaps the edges of the drain plug bolt". Honda drain plug sealing washers are as flat now as they have always been. That one has been crushed to death and distorted around the drain bolt's head.

Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
I've never replaced mine, and it looks just like that. I had the bike for years before realizing that was even a separate piece.
Just torque it to spec, verify no drip, and be happy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never replaced mine, and it looks just like that. I had the bike for years before realizing that was even a separate piece.
Just torque it to spec, verify no drip, and be happy.
I know. It looks like a one-piece part. Crazy!

Registered
1981 CX500C
Good grief.....no need to gorilla arm this bolt.

The oil sump is not pressurized. The drain bolt only needs to be snug. To define snug......think sparkplug tight. Make contact with the pan, add 1/4 turn. Done.

Shoot the oil filter has more pressure than the sump. It is only tightened snug. Yes, it has an o-ring on the casing, but still make contact then add 1/4 turn. Done.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As for me, I tighten every and all fasteners on motorcycles, that have a torque value specified, with a torque wrench.

Registered
As for me, I tighten every and all fasteners on motorcycles, that have a torque value specified, with a torque wrench.
Ditto....except for rocker cover bolts thatll strip threads before the specified torque...馃檮
Did it on a K100 thinking ill be extra careful and crisscross the bolts sequentially...

Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
If you want to replace it take the bolt to any auto parts store and they can sell you a plastic washer that seals just as well and can be used multiple times without distorting.

And as has been said, don't over tighten it. This is a good case for not using socket wrenches for tightening things (unless you are using a torque wrench) because the handle is too long for the wrench size and it is too easy to over tighten it.

Registered
And as has been said, don't over tighten it. This is a good case for not using socket wrenches for tightening things (unless you are using a torque wrench) because the handle is too long for the wrench size and it is too easy to over tighten it.
Don't know why you keep harping this point. I have not seen a 1/2-way decent socket set that does not include a small 1/4 ratchet in many years (even from harbor freight, Ca Princess, or Farm supply) I have several 1/4 ratchets that are less than 5 inches in length. Would I use a 12" 3/8" ratchet on a 6mm bolt of course not, But I find it sad that you ASSUME every new guy here is the same idiot as the previous owner.

Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
We're talking about damage that has obviously been caused by someone over torquing the bolt at some time (probably multiple times). The longer the handle the greater the torque applied for the same amount of force applied and the handles in most socket sets are longer than they need to be for even the largest sizes in the set.

And you're the only one that mentioned 1/4" or a "new guy" (WingMan has been around the forum just 2 months less than you).

Registered
We're talking about damage that has obviously been caused by someone over torquing the bolt at some time (probably multiple times). The longer the handle the greater the torque applied for the same amount of force applied and the handles in most socket sets are longer than they need to be for even the largest sizes in the set.

And you're the only one that mentioned 1/4" or a "new guy" (WingMan has been around the forum just 2 months less than you).
Wingman notwithstanding, You continue to post the same drivel at every possible occasion!, get over it. not everyone here is an idiot.

Registered
I鈥檓 thinking about cutting 3鈥 off one of my 3/8 ratchets. 馃榿
It鈥檚 hot in the northeast too.

• Haha
Reactions: D-Fresh

Super Moderator
I have a combination 1/2 inch and 3/8 ratchet {it has a drive sticking out of either side of the head} that is only 6 inches long.

Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
I use my 12" 3/8ths drive ratchet handle for just about everything. You don't have to grip it at the end.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts